Author Topic: Joggers Beware  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Barney

• Site Member
  • need fringe trim
Joggers Beware
« on: January 14, 2004, 12:00:25 PM »
Hi Everyone
Sorry you will notice me asking questions every other day.

My latest problem in Barny off lead in the park... whilst he is getting used to other dogs in the park a jogger running past just sends him mad. He will spot a jogger a mile off and give chase and just delight in getting between their legs  :?  - this is also accompanied by lots of barking. Now whilst I am expecting some answers with keep him on lead - i just feel like it defeats the object of the park as he loves to roam, sniff and play around.

Could anyone offer any advise on this??

thanks in advance. :)                    

Offline PennyB

Joggers Beware
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 12:49:01 PM »
This is a partly a recall problem. Find a way of distracting him with a squeaky toy for example and then when he looks at you try to recall him and use loads of praise/play with favourite toy kept just for walks/treat. Running off lead is great but you need to practise recall a lot as there will be other situations you don't want him to get involved in as well, e.g. bikes, other dogs on leads (there may be a very good reason why that dog is on a lead, i.e. aggression), etc.

I'd be the last to suggest keep him on a lead as I know how lovely it is to watch them running free. I occasionally have to put mine back on a lead for a short time if neither will leave alone the object of their desire, which might be causing a problem. Ruby took a real dislike to one particular dog the other day and wouldn't stop acting like a terrier and barking and chasing and nipping him no matter what I did so I popped her back on the lead until the owner could take the dog away. Another friend's dog often will only chase one particular jogger.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

lynseyloo

Joggers Beware
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 01:01:38 PM »
Jessie loves to un free aswell..ears flapping... but I too had to put her back on her lead once hen she just wouldn't leave this little do alone, think she liked him..but he was having none of it.. :lol:  but normally she will come back and sit by my feet if called... inevitably though it fails JUST when I need it to work  :lol:                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Joggers Beware
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 01:47:55 PM »
As Penny has said you are going to have to work on your recall.  You need to make yourself more interesting than the passing jogger  :wink:  Take out one of his toys or some treats that he really likes and practice your recalls with him even when there isn't any joggers around.  Practice at home in your garden as well, and don't make the mistake of putting him back on his lead everytime as they soon get used to this and won't want to come to you.

HTH                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Joggers Beware
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 07:55:50 PM »
I agree with Penny.

Fletch is going through a bit of bad recall phrase (he's 5) and has also started to bark and jump around people jogging.  He's very toy-orientated so I usually just have to shout and throw a ball to distract him.