Author Topic: Self chewing  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Karen

• Site Member
Self chewing
« on: January 30, 2004, 03:46:23 PM »
Hi there - back in winter 2002 we put the dogs in kennels for the first time and while we were away Blue chewed a leg to pieces and we had a struggle to get her to stop. It took about a month of wearing a head collar thing but she did stop and hasn't done it since - until now! Last time we understood (were told by the vet) that it was stress and boredom from being in the kennels but her routine/life has not changed at all for her to do it again now! Last Tuesday I groomed her and her leg was fine then by Friday I found her chewing it till it's bare and looks really sore! I've cleaned it up and put the collar back on but I wondered if anyone has any experience with this problem or any solutions I could try? I have tried spray to stop chewing and that makes her leave it for a little while but not for very long! The trouble is, you think she's being ok and without the collar on in seconds she can reduce a healing leg to a raw mess again with out you even seeing!! Any help or advice would be gratefully received! :wink:                    
Kazza, Blue, Tia & Ollie xxx

Offline PennyB

Self chewing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 11:14:01 PM »
It might be worth speaking to your vet again.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline T

• Site Member
Self chewing
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 12:54:28 AM »
Sorry can't give any real advise here ... but just wanted to say Poor you  :( , you've really had an unfair share of problems!!

Yeah we've heard this can be related to stress/boredom or change too ... have you had any different treats or food if no other change to routine/life!?!

We've caught Charlie-Spud having a quick chew on his rear foot lately after a good ole scratch of the head! But luckily he stops and it's not a concern yet.                    
Charlie-Spud 'ere, oh and this little fella Frisbee!