Author Topic: Introducing a 6 year old cocker to a new German Shepherd pup  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Introducing a 6 year old cocker to a new German Shepherd pup
« on: February 06, 2004, 06:10:54 PM »
I'm sure you will all be able to give me some good advice.
We took Boysie to meet his new 'cousin' today, a new German Shepherd puppy, called Jake (who is nearly as big as him already!).
Everything went OK at first, - there was a lot of sniffing etc, and Jake kept following Boysie around. It was very cute - as if he was thinking 'oh good, another canine'. But Boysie wasn't impressed - after a while when Jake went anywhere near him, he started growling, and when he didn't take the hint he started snarling. He even growled when the little pup started making noises during a quick nap. He was only happy when Jake ignored him completely. We would like these dogs (both are male), to get along together, as in future they will be walked together, and visit each other's houses regularly.
Any ideas on how to deal with this please?                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 07:12:13 PM »
I had a similar problem when I got Vegas - Brook was 10 years old and had always lived alone. For the first few weeks, Brook growled and occasionally snapped when Vegas was getting on his nerves(which was a lot as he was like a hump on his back :roll: ). You really just have to let them get on with it and don't intervene unless you think the puppy is in real danger of being hurt. Boysie is only putting the pup in his place using their own language so i wouldn't worry too much - Jake will soon learn how far he is allowed to go . If Brook can learn to accept another dog, I think any dog can :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 11:54:15 PM »
While the age gap is a lot shorter than yours Ruby my eldest cocker bossed Wilf around from day 1. Its always better not to interfere and let them get on with it. Wilf occasionally yelps quite loudly if Ruby is being extra bossy but I only ever go to check on him about 5 min after he's stopped making a fuss, by which time they've kissed and made up.

A lot of the time it sounds a lot worse than it actually is. At first it sounded like Ruby was trying to kill him but in reality she was just putting him in his place her way and it was nothing more than a handbag fight really!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 06:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice. It was difficult to ignore the growling and snarling, but now we will try to just to keep an eye and make sure Jake isn't in danger. I was worried as Jake has been introduced to other adult dogs without any problems.
Boysie is a rescue dog who was rehomed because his son wanted to be top dog and kept attacking him. He is a friendly dog who likes to say hello to other dogs (with the usual sniffing), but then wants to be left alone. When out walking he will normally try and get away from other dogs who express too much (in his view) of an interest, and will only growl or bark if he can't get away and they don't take the hint.
He will be meeting Jake (who has started playbiting in a big way) again later this week, so here's hoping that Jake will give Boysie a wide berth!                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 11:25:58 PM »

He is a friendly dog who likes to say hello to other dogs (with the usual sniffing), but then wants to be left alone. When out walking he will normally try and get away from other dogs who express too much (in his view) of an interest, and will only growl or bark if he can't get away and they don't take the hint.

My Jimmy is exactly the same......... he wanders upto every dog to say hello but likes to keep it short and sweet so he can resume doing his own thing. Too much sniffing and he gets the hump ......... as for letting other dogs chase him, forget it. :lol: He quickly learnt to accept a companion and that was a live-in one, there was an initial frostiness too but that soon disappeared.  

When Boysie first met Jake was it in the park or in a house he is used to being the only dog in.? If it was the latter it could explain his reaction, "oi you, this is my territory." I'm sure they will get on fine eventually, probably Boysie is just laying down the ground rules for Jake sooner rather than later. :lol:                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 07:54:17 AM »
When Boysie first met Jake was it in the park or in a house he is used to being the only dog in.? If it was the latter it could explain his reaction, "oi you, this is my territory."

It was in my brother's house, where to date he has been the only dog, so probably explains it.

We will persevere!

Thanks for the good advice everyone