Author Topic: Chasing other dogs away  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Chasing other dogs away
« on: February 07, 2004, 06:14:11 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, a dog in the park was a bit aggresive towards my springer Jazz, and Daisy saw this dog off. I praised her. I think this was a mistake!  :lol: Now almost every dog we come across since then, in the park, that approaches us, is treated to Daisy running up to it barking semi-aggresively (i.e. I dont know if she means it or not) This includes dog who she's previously been friendly with. Any ideas how I can start to reverse this behaviour? Today I tried putting her on the lead as soon as I saw another dog in the distance, and we walked up calmly and quietly and she was much much more friendly towards the dog - guess it's back to basics for us then unless anyone else can think of anything?  :lol:                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Chasing other dogs away
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 09:29:17 PM »
Mike I could be wrong here, but I would be tempted NOT to put her back on the lead if you can help it, as maybe you are feeding her fear  :?  or giving her a reason to be frightened. I must admit due to altercations I've had previously (not with Butty) it has made me more wary of certain breeds/types of dogs, as hard as i try I just can't help myself  :?  I do try VERY hard not to pass this on to Butty  :oops:
I'm sure others will have advice for you....cos I've not given you any  :lol:  but just wanted to say to me it sounds a bit like fear, dogs usually act in one of 2 ways...act like "10 men" ie, barking and making themselves seem aggressive to make the other dog go away...or become more timid and nervy  :shock:
One idea would be to try and meet up with other people you know, with their dogs and see what Daisys reaction is then, and praise her for behaving and acting correctly.

Gilly                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Chasing other dogs away
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 05:17:44 PM »
Good for Daisy sticking up for her mate. :D

From what I've read, barking and growling etc at other dogs is not necessarily an aggressive act, quite often it can be a warning to avert potential conflict rather than start it. It sounds like Daisy has discovered the power of the bark and is trying out her new weapon. :lol:  How you stop her I'm not expert enough to say really. :roll:  Usually the advice is to stay confident and cheery yourself and chivvy your dog along. Maybe she'll just stop doing it after a while, once the memory of the Jazz incident has faded  :?: As Gilly says , putting her on the lead might send her the wrong signals........ I've done this myself in the past and it seemed to make things worse.                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Chasing other dogs away
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 05:41:13 PM »
We bumped into some cocker friends today and she was absolutely fine with them. Phew! She started getting a bit feisty with a labrador/JRT cross we met (what little legs he had!), but he ignored her, as did I ( :lol: ), and she was soon running off chasing the birds in her own little world, as usual  - so I think/hope all is well :D                    

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Chasing other dogs away
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 06:50:01 PM »
Boysie recently started to do this with one particular dog who is a bit of a nuisance. He will be about 2 fields away from his owner, usually pestering someone else with unwanted attention while ignoring his owners calls and whistles. This dog has recently learnt that Ryan (an Irish setter we walk with) has a ball which he will loudly bark for. Along comes pest dog to try and steal the ball and run away. Boysie started 'seeing him off' and barking, and while I tried to recall him, the 2 other owners I walk with were praising him! Then I realised that when I saw this other dog I would think 'Oh no', and Boysie probably sensed this. I now try to relax (difficult), and he is getting better - he will now sniff hello and then chase him away!                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Chasing other dogs away
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004, 07:18:42 PM »
She started getting a bit feisty with a labrador/JRT cross we met (what little legs he had!),

The mind boggles how that was produced :shock:  :lol:                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Chasing other dogs away
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004, 08:46:12 PM »
My thoughts exactly  :lol:  :wink:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys