Author Topic: Houdini's at it again!!!  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Houdini's at it again!!!
« on: February 10, 2004, 08:58:45 PM »
The penny has just dropped with me. A bit slow I know but I put that down to my age :roll:
Alfie has been pacing up and down the lounge and crying at the door to go out then coming back in and crying again. He is a whinger when I'm not about but as I have been here I thought he was sickening for something. Anyway last night he got out at the back of ours into the woods and I had a heck of a job getting him back as it was pitch black and I could only hear the jingle of his collar. :?
Today my son rang me at work to tell me a neighbour had found him up on the main road  :shock:  :shock: He thinks he got out when he opened the front door to go into the garage, he didn't notice that Alfie had slipped out.  :oops: Mind you teenagers are a bit hopeless at he best of times, well my two are anyway.
Needless to say Alfie has had lots of cuddles off me when I got in as well as me giving him a talking to! He hasn't eaten for two days so I think he must have the scent of a bitch in season somewhere near.
Am I right in thinking this or should I get him checked out.? Any help appreciated. :oops:                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Houdini's at it again!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 09:31:32 PM »
Sure sounds like he's lovesick !!
But keep your eye on him, just in case.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline gerry

• Site Member
Houdini's at it again!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 12:59:00 PM »
How old is he now?

It's just your story sound familiar with us!  Rigsby was one on 11th Jan, and ran away from my husband the other day (lost for 3 hrs, nightmare), and this weekend when I took him out he wouldn't go back on the lead and decided to chase crows in a field for half an hour while I sat on the bank trying to lure him back with cheese (with no luck, in the end husband had to come out to us with car and then Rigs jumped in the back of the car unaided!  Little !"£! :twisted: <*&%!!).  He has also been off his food since the weekend and had to be lured into eating last night by me making cheese sauce and mixing it with his food!

Perhaps this is a hormone thing? Has Alfie been "done"?                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Houdini's at it again!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 02:13:43 PM »
Billy did something similar a few months back (age 3) He gets taken a walk by our neighbour when both of us are working days?? never had a problem before or since but one day as soon as he was let off the lead he headed for home at speed and had to cross a main road. Our wonderful neighbour set of after him but could only go as fast as his very elderly lab when he reached our house no Billy :shock: He rang both of us at work and we headed home............. where we found Bill sat outside our other neighbours back gate :? sometime we call him forrest (as in Gump). Oh and Billy has been done??

Sometimes I think our cockers just feel the wind in their ears and set off.

Michelle                    

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
Houdini's at it again!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 10:22:24 PM »
No Alfie hasn't been done as I show him, but that's the first thing my neighbour said to me when I rang to thank her for picking him up. She reckons it will calm him down :cry: He's 18months old, by the way.
I have been at home with him today and he seems a bit better and at least he's eaten. Havn't tried the cheese sauce thing though.  :) It sounds like a good idea as he loves cheese. He ran off with his chicken wing tonight and hid on his bed with it :lol:
I also had trouble with him last week when we met one of our friends collie dogs who he played around with for a while then when I set off home he saw another dog in the distance and just took off over the field to meet it. My friends' husband had to get him by the collar and walk him all the way back to me as he wouldn't listen to the whistle or me shouting "Treats"  :oops:  He's a tall chap and I think by the time he had met up with me he had back ache from holding on to him and I couldn't speak much as I was out of breath from running and all the shouting.  :oops:
Don't you just love cockers :lol:                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.