Author Topic: humping  (Read 2843 times)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
humping
« on: February 12, 2004, 06:42:15 PM »
Blue is 11 months old now and has taken a great interest in my daughter, every time she sits on the floor he tries to hump her!!!!!!!!! :oops:  i've spoken to my vet about this who suggested that it could be a dominance thing as she is the youngest member of the family, he also suggested that she get up and turn her back on him and totally ignore him, she's been doing this and it does work right at that moment until the next time she sits on the floor! :shock:

anyone any suggestions????????????                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Hel

• Site Member
humping
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 08:21:41 PM »
I'm afraid that it often what 11 mo dogs do - hump what they can!  I would disgree with the vet - it's not likely to be dominance as such, just that she is on the floor and is the nearest thing.  It's his hormones.

When my parents' had their first puppy, it was my leg he tried to hump all the time.  A 'no' did the trick to stop him at the time, but he would try again the next day.  

Just keep doing what you are doing - he will learn and grow out of it.                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
humping
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 09:04:33 PM »
Lottie still does this :roll:  :oops:

She only does it to bath towels, coats and the quilt cover when I'm trying to iron it :oops:

I'm perplexed as to why bitches do this :?                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline PennyB

humping
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 11:43:36 PM »
Every time I stick my arm out to get something and Wilf (9 months) is in the vicinity he generally tries to hump it (often when I'm trying to put his lead on, which usually involves Ruby playing tug of war with the same lead while I try to grab it off her so Wilf thinks the arm that's trying to grab the lead is fair game fo rhis humping).

Ruby who's 2 at the end of April tries to hump the duvet every time you try to air it, and will never let me put a pair of trousers on without humping at least one of the spare legs!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
humping
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 10:32:07 AM »
I would disgree with the vet - it's not likely to be dominance as such

Hi Hel,

i think i would tend to agree with you about this as Blue doesnt appear dominant at all!!!!!!  :?  

Our vet did mention that he will be hormonal around this age and only suggested the dominance as he doesnt seem to bother with my hubby, son or myself, not even the duvet !!!!!! :lol: he just seems to focus his attentions towards my poor daughter who is now very curious as to what he is doing!!!!!!! :shock:  :roll:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
humping
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 10:35:54 AM »
There's always two different schools of thought on this one - humping through dominance, or because of hormones. My own logic says it's 'probably' hormonal, but I do think dominance should be factored in too - aged 2 and 3 my springer and my cocker constantly hump each other, it cant be hormones all of the time, just as equally it cant always be a dominance isue otherwise they'd be at each others throats - and that's far from the case :lol:                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
humping
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 11:29:07 AM »
Butty is a closet humper too  :wink:  :roll:
She went through a phase of doing it to both of my children when she was younger and then it seemed to stop for a while. Recently it has started back up again, maybe because she's had her season?  :roll:  It is mainly aimed at my oldest daughter as she is her main "playmate". They dote on each other and Butty is NOT a dominant dog, I think she does it partially out of excitement and partially trying to instigate play. She had never done it to me before until recently, I got up off the couch and she clung on to the bottom of my leg for dear life  :shock:  Ever tried walking with a clinging cocker on your leg  :lol:
I put it down to the fact that she loves me  :D  :wink: as she doesn't seem to do it to inaminate objects  :?                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
humping
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 11:59:17 AM »

I put it down to the fact that she loves me  :D  :wink: :?

thanks Gilly, i'll gratefully pass your advise on to robyn as i didn't fancy getting into the old birds and the bee's chat just yet! :lol:

I sort of gathered from everyones replies that this is a persistant thing that comes and goes for quite a while, am i right in thinking this???????                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
humping
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 12:12:12 PM »
Maria,

Billy(age 3) still does this occasionally his favourite "amour" is a cushion we use when gardening?? He doesn't do it to people though?

He seems to do it most when we have visitors :oops: great end to a BBQ is to see a cocker spaniel pushing a cushion round the lawn :oops: and Billy has been done??

Michelle                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
humping
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 01:39:35 PM »
Misty has started doing this recently, she doesn't latch on though, just sits gyrating next to me. :roll:  I think it is probably excitement, as Gilly says, with a bit of attention seeking thrown in.

Jimmy gets amorous with towels too, it can be a quite a struggle disentangling him after he's been dried. You have to be quick. :lol:  About a year ago he sneaked off to my bedroom and fully consumated his relationship with my duvet. :shock:  He hasn't done it since fortunately, so maybe it was just  a one night stand. :lol:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
humping
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 02:58:49 PM »
Indie does this at times too :?   Occasionally she will try and mount my foot, but only when I have fluffy slippers on :?   Her favoured partner is her teddy bear at the moment, the poor thing, used to have such a happy face too :roll:  now it look more like this :evil:  :shock:  :?  :arrow:  :|  :oops:                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
humping
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 04:33:48 PM »
Neneh is in season at the moment, and at times it looks like my kitchen has been turned into the canine equivalent of a tarts parlour :shock: The 3 of them follow each other around like a shoal of fish with a "my go" expression on their faces  :wink:  :roll:  :D                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
humping
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 05:15:36 PM »
:lol: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It seems that we'll have to deal with this for a while yet! (poor Robyn :oops:)

Think i might try and get him a rather attractive teddy bear for valentines day!! :wink:  :lol:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
humping
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2004, 06:08:29 PM »
Am I just lucky as none of my Boys do this  :roll:                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Hel

• Site Member
humping
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 09:17:16 PM »
About a year ago he sneaked off to my bedroom and fully consumated his relationship with my duvet. :shock:  He hasn't done it since fortunately, so maybe it was just  a one night stand. :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Very funny Colin

I had an entire foster with dominant tendencies which manifested in trying to hump Fletch (also entire) all the time.  After a while, Fletch cottoned on and humped him (he is not a humper). I found the foster with a very sticky patch on his back (which is very difficult to remove - I had to pick it out   :roll:  ).  This too was a one night stand - and foster stopped humping Fletch!

Bluesmum - in my experience of male young dogs, yes it is something that you have to live with for a while.  Neutering does tend to stop the humping - but he is likely to stop soon any way - just make such you tell him to stop and your daughter walks away.  

A large teddy on the floor 'may' actually help divert his attention from your daughter