Author Topic: Dog Whisperer  (Read 5068 times)

Offline siddle51

Dog Whisperer
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »
I am a new cocker owner, Rusty is 11 weeks old and has been with us for three! :luv:  I was reading in the telegraph, an article from the dog whisperer who says you should tell your dog off in Japanese or Arabic, as the tone is right for dogs!  Anyone use a foreign language for their dogs? :huh:  All we could come up with was Soy! Wagamamma! and Feng Shui!  I think I'm more confused than him :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Dog Whisperer
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »
Er, no! I speak a few languages as I'm a translator but can honestly say I've never spoken to the dogs in any of them! Is it 'the' dog whisperer aka Cesar Milan? If so then I'd probably use said article to line the bottom of the cat's litter tray  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »
I was reading in the telegraph, an article from the dog whisperer who says you should tell your dog off in Japanese or Arabic, as the tone is right for dogs! 

nnooo!!  :lol2: :lol2:  :005: :005:

The two languages don't even sound alike!  :005:

Although my grandad is Polish and the minute he opens his mouth Billy starts barking  :005: Seriously! they can't be in the same room as one another  :005:

Cazzie

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:13:42 PM »
Good grief, is this what dog training is resorting too  :lol2: :lol2: I speak to mine in French  :005: :005:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:14:58 PM »
Good grief, is this what dog training is resorting too  :lol2: :lol2: I speak to mine in French  :005: :005:

I just make stupid noises :shades:

Offline bev6951

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:15:23 PM »
:rofl1:  :rofl1: :rofl1:  me too!!!
Bev, Wilson & Mylee xxx

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »
I speak six languages (although no Japanese nor Arabic!) and I must admit that I use different languages with my dogs. Certain words can have a more distinct intonation in another language. It just depends on what my dogs respond to better - so I tend to go with the words they choose. :D ;)
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline SarahS

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »
It dawned on me today that I have devised my own sign language with my puppy. Trouble is no-one else realised until today, including myself, hence the reason I was the only person he listened to.  When I have been training him, as well as saying the command, I have attributed all sorts of hand signals too. It was only when I was showing my mother in law how well trained he was, because she is house and puppy sitting for him in a few weeks that we realised. When I showed her I pointed, drew an imaginary line across the floor in the air for lie down, tapped my side for heel etc.  But my husband just says the command, so he ignores him. I said oh point, oh pat your side etc, and as soon as he did puppy obeyed immediately.  ooops :lol2:  So now my husband is watching me to see what I have taught him. There's no hope

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »

Yes - dogs do pick up visual cues very quickly.  At our puppy classes we were always advised to keep hands behind our backs unless using an actual cue, as we can often unintentially give mixed signals (holding hand in a "sit" position while verbally asking for a "down" was their example!!!).

:D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline anita96

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »
the only language I speak must be utter b******s cos he doenst listen to a word of it  :005:
Working Cockers aren't mad it's the owners!!!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 11:04:37 PM »
the only language I speak must be utter b******s cos he doenst listen to a word of it  :005:

:lol2: :lol2:  well I speak 5 languages and I still can't get Alfie to listen to me a lot of the time so that must be another one I can add to my list too  :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 12:16:18 AM »
you could stand there saying blah blah blah blah blah blah and I honestly don't think it would make much difference to the dog... bonnie does just as well when I speak english or her trainers speak dutch or german :005:

Offline SusieWoo

• Site Member
  • Dizzy
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
Is it 'the' dog whisperer aka Cesar Milan? If so then I'd probably use said article to line the bottom of the cat's litter tray  ;)

If it is Cesar Milan I don't think he would advocate speaking at all so it must be someone else.  I have tried Cesar's methods of "tssssing" and pointing to my friends Cavaliers with successful results.  One off them knows sign language because he is not deaf.  He can also lip read "biscuit"!

:005:
If you don't want my opinion, don't ask!

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
Is it 'the' dog whisperer aka Cesar Milan? If so then I'd probably use said article to line the bottom of the cat's litter tray  ;)

If it is Cesar Milan I don't think he would advocate speaking at all so it must be someone else.  I have tried Cesar's methods of "tssssing" and pointing to my friends Cavaliers with successful results.  One off them knows sign language because he is not deaf.  He can also lip read "biscuit"!

:005:

In what context did you use these methods? and please do describe the positive results you achieved.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 11:09:53 PM »
Griffin seems to know the difference between normal words and swear words  :005: (though it is probably just tone)

"Get off" = keep jumping up cause she's enjoying it really
"sod off" = ok, she's being serious, move away fast!

"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"