Author Topic: Getting into the kitchen bin  (Read 601 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Getting into the kitchen bin
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »
My two are 4 &5 years old so not naughty puppies, but lately have been getting into the bin >:D during the night or first thing in the morning! Besides the obvious of moving the bin on the bench when I go to bed,  and the fact that the last few weeks I've cut down their food as they are getting a little plump. Its a problem last night there was a chicken bone in the bin I'm not sure which one is doing it or both. Thinking of trying to set up something on top of the bin which will brake the behaviour  any suggestions? Never had this problem before.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Getting into the kitchen bin
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »
Besides the obvious of moving the bin on the bench when I go to bed...

Sometimes the obvious is the best solution ;) When we had a bin raider, we just made sure she could no longer get at the bin - problem solved :D
Jane

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
We once had a bin raider, unless we were in the kitchen ourselves we had to put the bin on the worktop out of reach. She could also open the fridge so we had to wedge the breakfast bench against the door when we went out. Clever creatures these cockers  :lol2:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline seaangler

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:20:05 AM »
The cats the raider of are bin...A metal clasp done the trick from most D.I.Y shops ....Was going to put a brick on top the bin lid(only JOKING folks)

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »
Mine are bin raiders and mine is under the kitcchen count so have had to place a panel across the front of it.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
OK I give in, just spent the morning moving the stuff in kitchen cupboards around so I can now fit the bin inside the cupboard underthe sink. Could be the lazy way out but the safest I know they ate a stale bread roll and OH ate the last piece of chicken  and threw bone in bin so I will worry for the rest of the day, but should know which one did it I'll be out there checking in dog poo >:( lovely way to spend a beautiful spring day
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
I solved this years ago by putting the rubbish into a small bin on the counter then emptying it into the outside bin  :lol2:  That way we don't have a battle over it!