Author Topic: Pointing fingers are not for obeying, they are there to be chewed on...  (Read 346 times)

Offline Beezzzkneez

The pitfalls of training with only academic knowledge..... Maike is getting sassy, she is so much livelier (and more troubesome) than when she arrived  2 weeks ago. The problem with my Cockerdile is that she is very keen on attacking my hand when I try to teach her something cause that's where the treat is!

All this "hold a treat in your hand" stuff is all good and well, but she has realized where the goods are and is not going to listen to me or do what I say, she is just going to get in there and attack my hand until she gets it! I've switched to throwing the treats on the ground as a reward but even just petting her has become tricky - anytime my hand gets anywhere near her she has to investigate (and nibble  >:D) because there could be a treat in there.

Will it get better if I'm consistent about not approaching her with treats in my hand and make it clear to her that treats come now from a different source? Feel silly for having made quite such a stupid error...
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Pointing fingers are not for obeying, they are there to be chewed on...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
This thread has some good information from Top Barks about teaching the Leave command. May be useful for getting Maike to understand mugging the hand doesn't get her anywhere. I know when I took Millie to training classes the instructor told me to be careful what I was teaching as although I was rewarding Millie for something else I was actually teaching her it was ok to jump up to grab the treat from my hand  :shades:. If Millie tries to grab stuff off me now I just say 'ah nicely!' and lift my hand away.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=73752.0

Millie

Offline Beezzzkneez

Re: Pointing fingers are not for obeying, they are there to be chewed on...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:57:52 PM »
Ooh, thanks, I hadn't seen that post! Top Bark's whistle recall post has been invaluable. I want to get as much training in as possible as we couldn't get into a puppy class before the 6th of November which is a little late!
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11