Author Topic: Excessive Barking  (Read 595 times)

Offline Neon

• Donator
Excessive Barking
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »
This last week, Toby has started barking at the slightest noise.  Even something like me putting a cup down will set him off.  They are all noises he has been hearing since we had him.  I've tried diverting his attention but even then he is still at it.  He was quiet for a few seconds so I treated him then he barked with the treat in his mouth.  The barking is always at home (at the moment, he has never barked while out on a walk) and he is hardly left alone.  Not sure how to deal with this one.  Is it the start of adolescence.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

sarahR

Re: Excessive Barking
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:23:53 PM »
They do go thru a second fear stage at about 8/9 months. I think there was an earlier thread on the forum about it. Sorry I can't help more than that. I'm sure someone will come on with more knowledge than that.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »
They do go thru a second fear stage at about 8/9 months. I think there was an earlier thread on the forum about it. Sorry I can't help more than that. I'm sure someone will come on with more knowledge than that.

Thanks Sarah.  I've heard about the secondary fear stage but have no idea how to cope with that one.  I'll have a search and see what I can find.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »
I posted about secondary fear stage when Quinn was 8 months old as he started barking at everything.    http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=80971.0

Haven't really got any advice except I carried on ignoring it and not making a big deal, he doesn't bark at anything when out and about now so it must have worked or he just got through that stage and realised not everything is scary  :shades:

ETA This was the age I did go to a couple of shows with Quinn, in hindsight I wish I hadn't as it was a real fearful stage for him.   He's like a different dog now to what he was like at that age.   

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »
Thanks Jeanette.  I've had a look through the link and fortunately, I've been doing more or less what was suggested.  It's really bad today, he hasn't stopped for the last hour or so.  The slightness noise and he's off.  Just loved and fussed him but he started again instantly.  I don't want him to end up being frightened of anything, so I'm ignoring it as best I can (although difficult).

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »
Well I still have a barker but at least he doesn't bark at bins, lamposts, random things now  :005:

I just have a noisy cocker.   

Offline seaangler

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 02:18:13 PM »
Are peggy has also started  to do the same....

So have gone back to the ball game...As she mad on tennis balls brought a load of brand new spanking tennis balls(not the cheap lookalike ones proper TENNIS ones) she will round them all up and sit in front them all....Thus keeping her QUIET...Plus the one to walk with....You to can but try this...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 04:16:29 PM »
Are peggy has also started  to do the same....

So have gone back to the ball game...As she mad on tennis balls brought a load of brand new spanking tennis balls(not the cheap lookalike ones proper TENNIS ones) she will round them all up and sit in front them all....Thus keeping her QUIET...Plus the one to walk with....You to can but try this...

Anything's worth a try.  He loves tearing up paper and cardboard boxes but even when he's doing this, he will stop and bark if he hears the slightest noise.