Author Topic: Help! My 7 month old refuses to go to the toilet outside.  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Wilfs mum

Help! My 7 month old refuses to go to the toilet outside.
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »
Can anyone help. My lovely boy, Wilf has never gone to the toilet outside. We take him for a walk and he never goes. He waits until he gets home and does his business on my kitchen floor....... This is our first dog and we love him to bits but we are really frustrated. When we took him to puppy training the lady there said it was a confidence thing and he would grow out of it............. well, he hasn't!
Any ideas? :D
Jan - Wilf's mum

Offline black taz

Re: Help! My 7 month old refuses to go to the toilet outside.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
how long do you keep him outside?

Do you have a "cue" word for him to go?

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:11:52 PM »
Hi, when I take Jinley outside (who can be very lazy especially when its raining) I dont speak to her other to say "be quick".  Then loads of praise. 

I had a retriever puppy who was exactly the same and it took us a couple of weeks to get her out of it.  The problem was she saw nothing wrong in going in the kitchen.  I am no expert re the confidence thing, but this worked for us.

We got her to go in the kitchen on paper (covered most of the kitchen at the start them made the spread less and less) and we said a cue word when she was going and give loads of praise.  She started to associate the cue word with going to the toilet.

We then moved the paper into the garden, again using the cue word (no other talking and yes you have to be patient) and lots of praise.  We stopped using the cue word and praise inside the house only doing it if she went outside.

Like I said this is what worked for us -others will have other ways.

Good luck

Pat

Offline Wilfs mum

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »
Hi
Many thanks for responding.
I take him for two 30 mins walk per day and he has an area in the garden that we put him in about 4 times per day.
We have tried moving the paper in the kitchen and it worked for a while (we actually reached the back door!), but he went back to the kitchen.
We don't have a particular word, just wee or poo.
Any help is really appreciated it.
 :wasntme:
Jan - Wilf's mum

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »

We don't have a particular word, just wee or poo.
Any help is really appreciated it.
 :wasntme:

I use the cue words "be quick"

Pat x

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »
I use "be clean" for a wee and "do you business" for no. 2 :005:  But wee and poo are fine as long as he knows what it means.

I would work on the instilling the "cue" word - although as they dont go so much at 7 months as they do as 8 weeks so it will take longer.  Every time you catch him doing it, say the cue word then praise.  Unfortunately its not the perfect time of the year to spend ages in the garden waiting for him to go - but I would probably take him for the 30 minutes then stand in the garden.

YOu could also work out how long he can go between "wees" and then try and take him out when you think he should need to go.  

I take it he usually does it overnight - if so, try restricting the space he has so he only has room for his bedding (they dont like to soil their bedding).

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
Archie was really hard to housetrain. I used cue words but would stand outside for an eternity before deciding he probably didn't want to go. He would then promptly perform on the kitchen floor. Many people here gave me great advice which you are getting too. If you follow it you will be rewarded I promise. One thing that made a massive difference was that as well as teaching the cue words for wees and poos, I also taught Archie the word "outside". I said it every time I opened the door and praised him and treated when he stepped out. Once he got this I combined his cue words with the word outside. It was like a penny dropped in his head and he was literally trained overnight. One day, everything inside. Next day whining at the door to be let out. It was amazing. Maybe this will help you. Good luck.

Offline Millies_Mum

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »
I can fully sympathise as we are going through exactly the same with our Millie at the moment (only wee's thank goodness), but it's like she has forgotten everything!!  So we're going back to basics in an effort to hope she returns to her good self and our kitchen floor/sofas/carpets can be widdle free!!

Offline Wilfs mum

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their great advice. I will give the cue words a try each time he goes the loo and use 'outside' so he understands what it actually means.
I am sure we will get there in the end.
I will keep you all posted as to how we get on.
Thanks again everyone.
 :D
Jan - Wilf's mum

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »
Hello,  along the lines of this thread - hope you dont mind me asking another question?

How have you trained your dogs to let you know they want to go out?

If we are watching the TV she goes to the door gives it a half hearted scratch then if there is no response will have a wee in the kitchen.   >:( >:(She does not bark.  If she needs a poo she just has a quick cry but very quietly.

I was thinking of hanging a couple of bells (like cat collar bells but for a Christmas Tree) on some rope.  Anyone else tried this or something similar which has worked?

Pat

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »
When you get back from your walk do you leave him outside for a bit to go before coming in ((Holly never goes out on a walk unless very desperate, she always waits untill she's home and she's 2))  :blink:

When you get back from your walk would be an ideal time to take him to his toilet area and wait...giving him his cues etc.

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
Diesel is only now learning its ok to go on walks but will still wait til home if he can - I always say 'pee pee' his Que word and lead him to back door and let him out the back but he will usually wait til  i take his harness etc off then head to the back door himself
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Wilfs mum

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 02:15:17 PM »
Hi and thank you to everyonen who gave me advice.
I am delighted to say that Wilf now goes to the toilet when we take him for his walks. He just did a poo and that was it. I think he is just a bit of a slow leaner. Thank again.
Jan - Wilf's mum

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »
Hee Hee good boy Wilf :luv:
steffxxx

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »
Good boy Wilf ;)
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010