Author Topic: Oscar update-WORST CASE SCENARIO pts  (Read 3388 times)

Offline carly_cl

Oscar update-WORST CASE SCENARIO pts
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:34 PM »
Hi,

Thought I would start a new thread to update all the lovely people who have helped me through the last 2 weeks with our increasingly aggressive Oscar. Well we arranged to have Oscar rehomed with a family members friend, not before a horrendous incident on fri night where he went for both of us and we had to take our little boy out of the house, leave our house wide open all night (could have been SOO much worse!). Yesterday he went to the family members house to allow gradual introduction to his wife and son. Today his new owner went round, oscar was great and they decide to just put oscar in his van to take to the new home. I would have catergorically advised against this as we have had car aggression with him before. As soon as he went in the van no one could get near, he was trying to attack anyone who went near (the level of aggression is incredible). My OH had to drive over (30 mins) and there was a 1.5 hour stand off before he eventually went in the house. Needless to say its kind of put the new owner off and its made us wonder if they would be able to manage him at all, it almost seems irresponsible for us to allow it to happen although they are willing to take him. The family member has been locked out of his kitchen all day because Oscar is going for him and not getting over his red mist. There is now talk of having him PTS and evben calling the vet out if we are unable to calm him. If he was a human I swear it would be a mental illness such as schizophrenia. Please, what would you do? Could he ever be rehomed? I just dont think its fair to sign him off. Im in turmoil xx

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: Oscar Update - possible pts
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »
Awww Hun what a dilemma you are in  :luv: only you can decide where to go from here, maybe you should let mark from top barks come to your house and assess the situation  :huh: he is good at what he does and maybe he can pick up on something that nobody else has?? what have you got to lose  :luv: :luv: I feel for you as I have been there where you are right now and for this reason I haven't posted on your other thread  :luv: I wish you all the best in what ever you decide to do and don't be too hard on yourself as you have tried everything in your power to help Oscar  :luv: :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Bella & Poppy

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
Hi Carly,

Only just read seen your posts.

Terrible that you are going through such a hard time I hope there is a happier ending to this horrible  situation.

Best of luck,

x x

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »
It sounds an horrendous situation, one which I am not qualified to give advice  :-\

Just wondering though has a behavioural expert assessed him ?  What is the age of the child that Oscar is to be rehomed with ?

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Oscar update-WORST CASE SCENARIO pts
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »
So sorry things have deteriorated for you all  :'(
I know on your last thread people suggested some knowledgeable rescues where Oscar could be assessed by people experienced at handling dogs with aggression issues.  Possibly then they would know what the best solution or options are for Oscar.  I would be reluctant to let him go somewhere where they are not experienced or understanding of the possible problems. 

Good luck

Offline max15

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 09:31:01 PM »
It's a terrible situation for all of you.  I see a number of people have suggested Mark from Top Barks, must be worth talking to him.  I hope you are able to resolve this so that your family and Oscar are happy and settled.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »
So sorry to hear that things have escalated again  :'( :'(

But Carly, nobody on here can give you an answer or proper advice without seeing Oscar.  The only thing to do if you are prepared to pursue it is to take the advice you have been given and get a qualified behaviourist in to assess him.  A lot of us have suggested you get in touch with Mark (Topbarks) - if I were you that is the first thing I would have done.  :-\

It is a terrible situation to be in I really hope you manage to sort things out for everyone concerned  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:39:18 PM »
No advice sorry Carly, just to say I am so so sorry for you and your situation it is heartbreaking  :'( :'(

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 09:42:27 PM »
So sorry to hear that things have deteriorated so much  :'( :'(  I am rather concerned that things seem to have suddenly become so extreme :dunno:

But Carly, no one on here can give you any answers or advice without seeing Oscar and being properly qualified.  A few of us have suggested that if you still wish to pursue a solution, you get a qualified behaviourist in to give you an assessment. We have told you that Mark (Topbarks) is an excellent person to approach.  If it were me, getting him (or another behaviourist if you prefer) to see Oscar is the first thing I would have done.  :-\

You have found yourself in a horrendous situation - I really hope that you can find a solution that is in the best interests of everyone  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
I've been away for the last week or so and have only briefly read your posts, however, please do not rehome Oscar to a family who are not going to be able to cope with him, if they're having stand offs with him today, things are likely to deteriorate if they don't know what they are doing.

Without wishing to be harsh, it would also be irresponsible to rehome a dog with the issues that Oscar has to a family that have a child.  :-\ I've taken on 'difficult' dogs in the past, that's my choice and with that choice I accept that I may get bitten (and I have). There is no way that I would take on some of the dogs that I have if I had a child in the home.

You really do need to contact one of the cocker / spaniel rescues to see if one of them would be prepared to take him on and work with him. Oscar clearly is going to need a lot of help to work through his issues, rehoming him to anyone other than a very experienced person or rescue is likely to make things worse for him.

Like I said, I haven't had a chance to read through all your posts yet, so apologies if I'm repeating stuff that other folks have said.

I'll pm you with some rescues that you can try :)
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline HeatherandBenjy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
Sorry to post again, I completely agree with Joules, if you haven't already, please contact Top Barks and get his excellent help with Oscar (sorry, I assumed that Oscar had already been seen by a reputable behaviourist).
Heather, Buddy, Archie, Fizzy, Bruno and Amber!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
Big hugs to you, what a difficult time for you all. As others have said I have to agree you need to get in touch with Mark from Top Barks.

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »
I agree with the others and really think you should contact Mark (Top Barks) if nothing else at least you will have gained some further professional advice which could help you decide the best route.

I havent been in your situation so can't advise you myself but really do feel for you all  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »
Agree with everyone. Before you make a decision talk to Mark. Also, I don't think any of the medical tests - especially thyroid - have been done, have they! Surely, you'd want to exclude a medical cause (that could potentially be solved very easily) before making that final decision!!!

If nothing works - neither a good behaviourist and no medical cause can be found (after THOROUGH tests, not just a quick manual exam by the vet) - then yes, PTS is probably the kindest and most responsible thing to do! But not before covering all other avenues first.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 11:20:54 PM »
You need to either:

Speak with Mark as several people have suggested, as well as taking him back to a vet with some sense and having blood tests done etc to rule out health problems

Or

speak with the cocker rescues to try and find somewhere to take him with a view to having him rehomed or at least fostered out ASAP.

It must be an incredibly stressful situation for you, your family but also for Oscar as well.
I don't mean to sound harsh but you came to the forums looking for help and assistance on what to do; lots of people have offered their advice and yet you don't seem to want to listen to it, nor act upon it. If you really want to do the best you can for him you need to start acting on some of the advice you've already been given.
I hope you get things sorted for Oscar soon.
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x