Author Topic: Oscar update-WORST CASE SCENARIO pts  (Read 3390 times)

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: Oscar update-WORST CASE SCENARIO pts
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 10:00:33 AM »
I'm sorry but none of this is adding up for me anymore. I've never been in this situation but it seems to me that you don't want to follow the recommendations given, which is strange.
I hope that if this is all going on you get it sorted quickly for the dogs sake.

Lots of useful advice has already been given and you need to act on it ASAP.
Good luck and I wish you well.
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
You are getting advice on here and EVERYONE has said speak to Top Barks and you dont seem to want to do this and seem to have made up your mind already , so i dont really see what you want anyone on here to tell you , lurchergirl and other people have given you good advice  :-\ :-\
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline max15

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »
I agree with others who are saying that if you really want to help call Mark at Top Barks, he is obviously really highly regarded on COL and I would certainly call him.  I would also like to echo the comment which is that you must appreciate that Oscar must be terrified and confused with all that's going on, so for everyone involved please make the calls necessary.  You are coming across as deflated and beat at the moment and that is to be expected but please don't have him PTS until you have make the calls suggested.

I wish you well

Offline carly_cl

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
Ok this may be down to crap experience of behaviourists but what do they do, come and give you a series of actions to take with your dog?? How do we do this?? Where do we do it? I have just called the national coordinator of cocker rehoming and rescue, she advised to pts. Basically said, who could rehome him? She spoke a lot of sense. Said that no rescue would take him, so what are we to do, we just cant keep him!!! PLEASE dont make me feel like Im giving up easily that I am not, like I said we were about to call Mark when it escalated but even if we had we are STILL taking a risk having him in our home with a toddler.

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »
The one piece of advice you will not be given on this particular forum is a definitive 'Put Oscar To Sleep' - it just won't happen here where people are so devoted to their Cocker Spaniels that they understandably would want you to pursue each and every alternative before you make a final decision.

You have received that advice from the national coordinator of cocker rehoming and rescue.

You now have to make a choice whose advice to follow  :-\

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 10:39:16 AM »
No, he shouldn't remain with a toddler, regardless of the outcome really. But I thought that perhaps if he could be sorted, your relatives would give him another chance. But if they are not prepared to give him another shot (and I am not judging here, just making a statement!) by doing medical tests and work with a behaviourist, then I can't really see a way forward unless someone extremely experienced with the right set up/lifestyle available can help or someone is prepared to offer him a short term foster place whilst the above can be sorted out...  :huh:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline carly_cl

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
No, he shouldn't remain with a toddler, regardless of the outcome really. But I thought that perhaps if he could be sorted, your relatives would give him another chance. But if they are not prepared to give him another shot (and I am not judging here, just making a statement!) by doing medical tests and work with a behaviourist, then I can't really see a way forward unless someone extremely experienced with the right set up/lifestyle available can help or someone is prepared to offer him a short term foster place whilst the above can be sorted out...  :huh:

I really cant expect a family member with very little dog experience to manage this for us. Most of his house was out of bounds yesterday and I know that he could 'flip' at any time. Once again, I am the responsible owner. The relative has been bitten by Oscar before on the arm so we are extremely lucky he is doing this for us at all

Offline carly_cl

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
I'm sorry but none of this is adding up for me anymore. I've never been in this situation but it seems to me that you don't want to follow the recommendations given, which is strange.
I hope that if this is all going on you get it sorted quickly for the dogs sake.

Lots of useful advice has already been given and you need to act on it ASAP.
Good luck and I wish you well.

It is not strange. He doesnt have a home to go to right now, so who is going to help him rehabillitate?  which I very much doubt would happen anyway.
I can see you are never going to say pts and I never thought myself and OH would say it but right now there is no other option. NO rescue centres will take him.
This is not a decision taken lightly we have worked with him for years, sacrificed many aspects of our life for him.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »
I think at the end of the day it is all about doing everything. Regardless of what a behaviourist may or may not ask of you and what a vet may or may not find, at least if you do decide finally to say goodbye to Oscar, you can do it knowing every single avenue open to you was explored.

How will you feel if a few months down the line someone posts about having a dog like Oscar and managed to turn that dog around and into a wonderful family dog? You would feel terrible...I know I would.

All people here are asking is for someone qualified to tell you that this is saveable or the end of the line. Please don't get angry because they are trying to help Oscar and you xxxx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline carly_cl

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
I think at the end of the day it is all about doing everything. Regardless of what a behaviourist may or may not ask of you and what a vet may or may not find, at least if you do decide finally to say goodbye to Oscar, you can do it knowing every single avenue open to you was explored.

How will you feel if a few months down the line someone posts about having a dog like Oscar and managed to turn that dog around and into a wonderful family dog? You would feel terrible...I know I would.

All people here are asking is for someone qualified to tell you that this is saveable or the end of the line. Please don't get angry because they are trying to help Oscar and you xxxx
This I know, and I thank all of you for that. But please tell me logistically how this is possible..

eg behaviourist comes says Oscar can be worked on, may have a chance. Then what. Who and where can this be done? Im sorry I come accross as getting angry but its through pure desperation for my boy, as much as I adore him I cant have him near my son. On Friday night, I must tell you that had my little boy not been in my partners arms he could have been bitten. For that alone I cant have him back

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
But you don't know and cannot assume what the behaviourist will say.  They may well come in and say this is a lost cause and at least you can do what you have to knowing it is for all the right reasons. He may well be in pain. Pain can be hidden and not obvious.

At the end of the day he is your dog and you have to do what you think best. People here are saying Topbarks because they know that he will be honest and straight with you xx
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »
O.k. i'm going to give it one last try....please read stuffster's text below highlighted in bold
The reason Oscar could be behaving as he is because he is in pain

If you could find out if Oscar does have a health issue & he gets treatment, along with help from a recommended behavourist then he could be rehomed.
There must be one room in your home where you could be put a baby gate to keep him away from your child.  :shades:
If you do everything you possibly can for Oscar, at least you know in your heart you tried  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Please Please Please DO NOT HAVE HIM PTS. I totally understand your concerns but at least call an experienced cocker rescue place to give him a chance.

If your dog has aggression issues he should only be rehomed with a very experienced owner.

The chances are he is absolutely terrified right now, which is why he is lashing out. Think how he is feeling - he got taken from his home and family, then shoved in a van, then taken to another house, with no way for him to understand why this is happening to him.

My old boy Alfie was showing horrific signs of "rage" according to 2 vets I saw - who advised he be put to sleep.  I refused and sought a 3rd opinion and it turned out he had torn his cruciate ligament and was in extreme pain. Once he had been operated on and his leg healed, he was a completely different dog.

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
What Sheryl say makes sense and also, if the behaviourist did believe there was hope for Oscar, they might possibly know of a place for him? I'm sure this must be an unbelievably difficult position to be in :(

Offline CatherineL

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 11:37:10 AM »
I really feel for you and the awful situation you are in.  But as others have said, surely you can separate Oscar from your son by putting up a gate.  Also if the vet sedated him, he could then go to the vets for a full medical work up.  Even if he stayed at the vets to be observed for a few days, that way they could do bloods and xrays if necessary.  It would be awful to think he was reacting this way due to pain.  I think you all need to take a deep breath and try to work out a plan.  At the end of the day only you can make the decision.  I wish you all well.

Offline carly_cl

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »
I have been phoning rescues and just had a long chat with a guy from caessr. He said the same as everyone else, he cant be rehomed unless there was someone v experienced that came forward. He also said it sounds as close to 'rage' as you could get and they have taken in dogs like this (without honesty in rehoming) and they are pts. I understand where you are all coming from, I think i will try another vet just to get a second opinion. Although our vet is a very well established respected vet in this area, he has always been spot on with all of our animals