Author Topic: Oscar update-WORST CASE SCENARIO pts  (Read 3388 times)

Offline carly_cl

Re: Oscar update-WORST CASE SCENARIO pts
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »

What if my son goes to the gate and Oscar flips, which has happened lately (not to him)? Is this honestly responsible, my son could lose his hand. We cant get near our kitchen when he goes and this is the only option to gate him in.

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »
I understand where you are all coming from, I think i will try another vet just to get a second opinion. Although our vet is a very well established respected vet in this area, he has always been spot on with all of our animals

You need to make sure that you get the right tests done, even the best vets don't know for example that thyroid malfunction can cause rage-type symptoms!
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »

What if my son goes to the gate and Oscar flips, which has happened lately (not to him)? Is this honestly responsible, my son could lose his hand. We cant get near our kitchen when he goes and this is the only option to gate him in.

Personally, I wouldn't want the toddler in the same house as Oscar! The accident risk is too high. Can your relatives keep him safe in one room?
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
Carly, please stop asking for advice if you are not prepared to listen!  You seem to have made your decision but, if it were me, I would be making sure I had explored every avenue before I made an irreversible decision :dunno:  I realise this is a stressful situation but everyone on here has offered you good advice which you have not taken - we are just going round in circles here and you and Oscar are just becoming more stressed in the process  :-\  If you are willing to try everything, you need to get an opinion and further tests (as recommended by Lurchergirl) from a vet AND an experienced behaviourist eg Mark - and you need to do it now!

You keep asking what a behaviourist will do, say, recommend - the answer is, we do not know until they see Oscar.  :shades: As has been said, it is unlikely that a rescue will take him with the facts as you have told us, but either you want to try everything or you do not.  Obviously an inexperienced home is totally out of the question for him so, if you do not want to talk to a behaviourist, it looks like pts is the only outcome for this poor boy  :'( :'(
Julie and Watson

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »
I understand Joules frustration here as it is how I feel too!

There are no easy answers here - people have offered the same advice over and over on your threads but, if I'm honest, it sounds like you have already made the decision  :-\

None of us can see what is happening - we can only offer suggestions.

I don't know why you will ring other organisations quite freely but won't ring Mark, but that is entirely your own choice.

I wish you well, and I wish you peace in the decision you take.
helen & jarvis x

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »
I think you have come to the end of the line with Oscar.  There is no way you can have him back into your home even with help from a behaviourist or even if a vet felt that the behaviour had a physical cause which could be treated.  The trust between yourself and Oscar has gone.  You have to think of your child.

You have found that no rescues will take Oscar with the history you have told them.

You only have two options: rehome him privately or have him pts.

To give him the best chance of being rehomed privately I believe you should have him re-checked by a vet today to see if there is any chance of there being some medical condition which could be treated.  Additionally, you should contact a recommended beahviourist for advice as to whether, if the cause is not physical, any work could be done with Oscar at all.  

If the outcome from either enquiry is positive, you may find someone willing to consider taking Oscar on, even through this forum.  If both enquiries turn up a negative response, then I think the only solution left would be for Oscar to be pts.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
Carly, I'm going to close this now as I don't think it's helping you to keep the thread running - people have given you as much help & advice as they possibly can but it is limited as to what anyone can do via an internet forum and it does seem like the thread is going round in circles now. I do wish you well in whatever decision you make & know it will not be easy for you whatever that decision is.

Please feel free to send me a PM if you would like this thread re-opened at any stage for you to update.
Jane