Author Topic: Over dose of meds  (Read 10834 times)

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
Over dose of meds
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »
Hi all I have been so busy looking after Charlie my 15y/o cocker I havent been around for a while.  I really could use some advice for my boy.  He has arthritis in his back legs along with other serious health issues like a grade 6 heart murmur.  He attends the vet every 3 weeks for acupuncture and we have been struggling to find pain meds to help him all we have tried so far he has been unable to tolerate.  3 weeks ago I was given previcox 57mg to be given one and a half tabs per day so around 86mg give or take.  This week I began to notice some side affects I felt were enough for me to top giving then on Tuesday this week.  They turned him into a supersonic bunny dashing about all over the place unable to rest so I gave no more from then on.  On Tuesday he slept exhausted for 22 hours out of 24.  I stayed down stairs with him that night he was so exhausted he couldnt even get up to go out so I placed a puppy training pad under him and changed it when it was used.  I was sitting at 2am watching him sleep crying my eyes out trying to decide has he had enough and he is telling me it is time.  I had almost decided I would call my chosen vet the next morning and ask her to make the arrangements to come to the house and send my auld lad on his journey to the bridge.

The next morning Wednesday he was up and at it his normal self a bit unsteady from laying so long with his auld legs.  So that told me he wasnt ready.  No at tea time that night I went to give him his heart meds as usual,.    I have no idea why I did this but I stood in the kitchen with the previcox box in my hand looking at it when a light in my brain turned on.  The label said 57mg the box said 227mg.  My heart stopped.  I opened the box took out the strip and checked the tabs also said 227mg. OMG I could have killed him with that dose he wasgetting 340mg not 86mg for nearly 3 weeks.  Took charlie to the vets last night saw the vet who issued the prescription.  I showed her the packet but refused to allow it to leave my hands.  She said this isnt good, took a blood sample for a full blood test.  Charlie was so upset after getting blood taken I took him home to get him cleaned up and settled for a sleep to recover.  The senior partner called me last night saying that one of his levels was up and another down from last time didnt say which.  Then some bull about having called the manufacturer who said he could have been given 130mg without it causing an issue.  I kinda lost lost it and pointed out he had been getting 340mg for over 2 weeks.  I plan to give then a letter of complaint on Monday when we go back for acupuncture and another blood test. 

So I have the WE to plan my attack I am devastated for my lad he doesnt need this.  What if I had not found the over dose and I had went ahead and PTS my boy.  Has anyone ever made a complaint about this type of situation and is there a way I can find out how long it would take for kidney issues to show after an overdose of NSAIDS such as previcox.  Sorry this is soo long
Cathy
Cheeckie Charlie   
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Over dose of meds
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:26:14 PM »
OH Cathy I'm sorry I don;t know the answers
to your questions :huh: but I do know you are
upset (quite rightly so)
I'm sending you and cheeky Charlie :luv:  a
whole heap of love and kisses :-*
steff xxx

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »
Thanks Steff I am devastated for my boy he has enough health issues and does not need this and potential kidney problems to be added.   
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 02:21:52 PM »
I'd be bl**dy furious if it happened to one of mine Cathy and I hope Charlie hasn't suffered any permanent damage.

Have you seen this from the Citizen's Advice Bureau?
http://bit.ly/11CBtWp

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »
contact the royal veterinary college and put a complaint in I would be apoplectic with rage >:D >:D

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
Flamin Nora Cathy  >:D I would have had your vet by his bleeping throat  >:D totaly agree with fiona2 call the vet college and get him strung up by his doodahs  >:D. give the gorguss Charlie a big  :-* from my girls x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »
I would complain too (I've had similar problems re my pharmacy) - sounds like them not checking properly
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »
Thanks all Yes Helen a friend of mine who does rescue sent me the same link.  Can someone tell me how this works.  Our vets type in the prescription into their system.  Someone in the practice prints out the label and dispenses the med, but who does that is it a vet nurse or a receptionist or are they supposed to have    a specifically trained person who dispenses any meds because I know the vet does not do that at our practice.

Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »
to be honest you are meant to trust your practice does the right thing

May be write to your practice to find out - then you have it in writing
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 05:41:25 PM »
Hi Penny yes I will be writing to the Senior partner over the WE I have told him to expect my letter on Monday which I will hand in when I am up there.
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 06:37:55 PM »
meds whether for animal or humans have to be checked and then counter signed by the person who put it together and then by the vet/ pharmacist
dont forget 2 copies of the letter and if possible photo copy of the meds label/ box  (  for your reference)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
OMG I too would be very angry. I looked up the advised dose and it is 5mg of tablet per kg of weight, once a day. If Charlie weighs 12 kg then the dose would be 75mg, so the dose he was getting was very high! I would ask for a copy of the test results and send them along with a letter explaining situation to RVC.
Are you insured? it may be worth ringing your insurance helpline for advice?
I have everything crossed that Charlie suffers no long term effects xx

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »
Thanks cdpops yes he was getting one and a half tabs per day so that should have been getting around 86mg per day for 12.8kg.  I have kept the box and the rest of the tabs allowed the vet to take pictures but told them the box and tabs remain in my possession as proof this has happened.  I plan to ask for a copy of the test results on Monday I am insured yes and did think about calling them.  charlie is very tired legs weak and staggery but then he does have arthritis as well as spinal issues.  After what he has suffered this week I am going with the flow and if he wants to just sleep just making him comfortable and letting him sleep.  At least he is drinking well and his appetite is coming back   he just ate all his tea for the first time this week and also most of his breakfast today. 
Thanks Cathy

Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
I am sorry I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say how dreadful this is and hope with all my heart that Charlie is alright.

Offline annclare

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 07:48:38 AM »
Me too, feel so angry and upset that this has happened.