Author Topic: Over dose of meds  (Read 10831 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Over dose of meds
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 08:08:17 AM »
Hi Penny yes I will be writing to the Senior partner over the WE I have told him to expect my letter on Monday which I will hand in when I am up there.

what I meant was to suggest you write to find out what their procedure is meant to be re dispensing as only your practice can tell you that (its re your question above about how things are checked as some may do it differently - when my own meds were twice incorrectly dispensed the pharmacist told me they were going to take a look at their dispensing procedures)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 10:15:29 AM »
So sorry, hope Charlie is ok  :luv: :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »
So sorry for you and Charlie, hope there are long lasting effects and that the Vets own up to their mistake

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »
So sorry for you and Charlie, hope there are long lasting effects and that the Vets own up to their mistake

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

It's very frightening  ph34r   I supose there is nothing to say that this couldn't happen to humans too;  or are they all double checked   :huh:  as I would have expected the vet's to be.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »
Thanks all Mudmagnets they cannot deny it it was me who found their error and the packet showing dose 57mg and was actually 227mg is in my safe keeping and will stay there.  Is it just me or would I expect the practice to show some level of concern and at least call me and ask how he is doing which apart from a call Thursday night after I took him home from the Senior partner who gave me a lot of old bull and said it should not have happened, never a word on how is Charlie after a week of hell. Maybe I am getting too old fashioned and expect some level of manners.  It is not as if he is worried about admitting liability being as I found their error and still have the evidence.

Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
Thanks all Mudmagnets they cannot deny it it was me who found their error and the packet showing dose 57mg and was actually 227mg is in my safe keeping and will stay there.  Is it just me or would I expect the practice to show some level of concern and at least call me and ask how he is doing which apart from a call Thursday night after I took him home from the Senior partner who gave me a lot of old bull and said it should not have happened, never a word on how is Charlie after a week of hell. Maybe I am getting too old fashioned and expect some level of manners.  It is not as if he is worried about admitting liability being as I found their error and still have the evidence.

Cathy

Sorry Cathy, that should have read, hope there are NO long lasting effects. Yes I think you are right, the least they could have done is phone and ask how he is doing. Very good that you have the evidence safe.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »
I think they have treated you and Charlie appallingly, I would expect them to be falling over themselves to apologise and make sure Charlie is ok, I would be as upset about their response as I was about the over medication.   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »
Makes me so mad when I read things like this.  I hope you manage to get it resolved satisfactorily! 
Had something similar tho not as serious with Maggie a few months back.  She had to go in to be sedated for some investigation in her mouth, left her there in the morning and then went to pick her up in the afternoon.  Vet made up antibiotics for her and I thought it was odd that the dosage was so high.... had a look at the label and they had her down as 30kg!  She's 10kg.... on their system she was also showing as 30.... she was stood next to me - I said - DOES SHE LOOK 30kg????  He muttered something about not knowing how that happened - I mean the chart tracking her weight showed this massive hike - so it wasn't just looking at numbers!  Clearly they just don't look properly - I hate to think what the outcome would've been if they had got her weight wrong during the sedation :(
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 04:41:27 PM »
Thanks MaggieR I am so glad you also found their error before poor Maggie got her meds I so wish I could turn the clock back and wish I could have spotted this 3 weeks ago.  Charlie at 15 I think this may just have pushed him over the edge and isnt fighting back like he usually does, is sleeping a lot and not eating that well I have prepared a special tea for him tonight to tempt him.  There is only so much fighting an auld lad can do BUT he has surprised me a few times in recent weeks by appearing to go down then all of a sudden coming back fighting so I will continue to sleep down stairs with him and hope. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »
I have no advice to offer, I am sorry that this has happened to you and Charlie.  I am very disappointed at the lack of concern shown by your vet.  Really hoping Charlie can come through this, sending healing vibes his way.  xx

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 07:39:09 PM »
Thanks ejp for your concern.  He is drinking a lot of water like never before which is a worry at least I have him eating well again.
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 10:22:06 AM »
Every set of fingers and paws crossed here. I really hope your vet takes responsibility for this horrendous error. Come on Charlie COL are willing you better.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
Im so sorry. What a horrible thing to have happened. I really hope Charlie gets well soon.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Sadly I suspect that the lack of concern by your vet is a lagacy of the litigious world we now live in. Where once they would have held their hands up straight away and expressed normal, human, concern and apology, now they have to keep quiet in case any reaction is seen as an admission of guilt that could result in an expensive (both financially and in respect of possible loss of custom) lawsuit.  >:(

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »
A terrible thing to have happened and I hope Charlie suffers no lasting effects.

I have to agree with Archie bean though about the reasons your vet may have for being somewhat stand-offish about the whole thing.

Most professional liability insurance policies are very strict on what can be said or done following a complaint in case of a possible claim. The general rule is to admit nothing and do nothing that may be seen as an acceptance of liability.

It doesn't do much to foster a good vet/client relationship but I suspect that your vet may have placed the matter in the hands of his insurers or gone to his professional body for advice.

I'd suggest contacting your own pet insurers for advice as there's the potential for a claim to be made against them as a result of your vet's error.

Bob.

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 06:17:02 PM »
Hi Bob thanks for the info I plan to give my insurance company a call tomorrow, and see how our visit for acupuncture goes tomorrow if I get any further contact with the Senior Partner when they do the blood test.  However I still plan to submit a letter  of complaint to the practice,  I wish I know their procedures for dispensing as the Vet prescribing got it right it was the actual dispensing and checks which failed my auld lad.   Thank dawg I held onto that packet of meds and refused to hand it over to them. 
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Hamish latest addition