Author Topic: Hand stripping vs coat king  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Scotsco

Hand stripping vs coat king
« on: May 09, 2020, 02:17:45 PM »
Pretty much as the title says...

I have a 7 nearly 8 month old cocker. Who I have been brushing religiously every other day since we got him at 11 weeks old.

But my God is he a fluff monster at the minute. I plan to groom him myself. And want the hand stripped look. I see the advantages of a coat king (speed) and he wont be showed. But was wondering if it was worth a go seeming as he wont be shown. Just dont want to do unrepairable damage.

Any input from those in the know. Would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Tom

Offline Barry H

Re: Hand stripping vs coat king
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 09:35:18 AM »
Hi Tom and welcome to COL! 

If you want the handstripped look there's only one way to do it.  Yes, you've guessed.  No other method will work and there are no shortcuts.  It's the price you have to pay I'm afraid.

Jack is a show type now 5.  I don't show but have always handstripped him as I feel the same way as you.  Be aware that it's a lot of work and it's ongoing, but for me it's not a chore and the time and effort is well worth it.  Nothing beats the gorgeousness of a properly handstripped Cocker.  There is a learning curve but I find little and often is better for him (and me) than trying to do it all at once every so often.  Plenty of excellent advice in the Grooming section will be enough to keep you going.  I've always been against using anything that may cut the coat (other than scissoring feet), but that doesn't mean good results can't be had with a Coat King or similar - 'good' meaning comfortable and tidy.  I should add that I would not regard it's use as hand-stripping either in method or more importantly in results. 

Handstripping will only be possible when the coat is ready, usually not before 12-15 months old and it could be longer.  Pooch will go through the woolly mammoth 'looking like he's been dragged through a hedge backwards' phase from about 6-9 months as the coat changes.  Of course, you can have him clipped, but the coat will not be the same afterwards and it may not as a consequence be possible to handstrip.  If you really want to handstrip there's not a lot you can do about this phase other than put up with it and establish regular grooming habits to get him/her used to being messed about with, training to stand still etc.  Even after four years or so, Jack just about tolerates it.

Grooming should be done daily.  Use a  brush/comb combination to keep the coat clean and tangle free, paying particular attention to the ears.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 11:16:18 AM »
Hi and welcome!
Excellent advice there from Barry!!
I took mine to a (not very good ) groomer while he was still at that fluffy stage, she used a coat king along his back but looking back I do think that was a mistake, his coat has always been unruly and I suspect cutting through the puppy fluff did damage it.
The stage that you’re at now can be a bit frustrating, but patience is the key - an elastic band threaded through the teeth of a Spratts comb will help remove the puppy hair as it starts to loosen and tidy him up a bit but I‘d suggest not doing anything else until the adult coat comes through and then you can decide how you‘re going to go from there. Although recognized as being the best way, I personally couldn‘t manage handstripping, so have resorted to a coat king but use it as little and as infrequently as possible. The only parts I clip are under the chin and throat and also under the ears, although  since Humphrey was castrated last year (he‘s,now 5) I‘m now having to do his head and face aswell but I‘d personally only do an all over clip as the very last resort.. A few minutes brushing daily will keep any matting down to a minimum and also be a far more pleasant experience than an hour once a week.

Offline Scotsco

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »
Thank you both for your replies. Very detailed and I appreciate the time you both took in your replies.

I think I will take your advise and just wait the fluffy scruffy stage out... sigh

Luckily my partners sister is a groomer. And has offered to groom him, however she doesnt do hand stripping. I do feel bad telling her I dont want her too do the bulk of the work. But I'd rather temporarily upset her for the sake of bobby.