Author Topic: Does anyone have any experience with tumours of the spleen?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Bob's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Does anyone have any experience with tumours of the spleen?
« on: November 03, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »
Hi,
My beloved dog Bob died 3 weeks ago - we had to make the heartbreaking decision to let him go after he was diagnosed with a Hemangiosarcoma of the spleen. It was diagnosed very suddenly following what we thought was going to be a routine dental procedure.
He had bleeding gums so we booked him in for a dental check and the out of the blue were given this diagnosis.
We didn?t really have any idea he was poorly. He was 13 years 8 months, slowing down which we thought was just due to old age, but otherwise a happy dog.
He did have some episodes of back legs giving out in the summer but we out this down to the exceptional heat and some arthritis.
It wasn?t such a shock to us, but my understanding is once a diagnosis is made the tumour is likely to be very advanced. I feel like we had literally seconds to make a decision about his fate.
I?m incredibky lonely without him. He was my best friend.
[size=8]Jo[/size][/font]xxxx

Offline Issy

• Donator
Re: Does anyone have any experience with tumours of the spleen?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 09:58:29 PM »
I don?t have any experience with tumours of the spleen, just wanted to say how terribly sorry I am to hear of your loss.  :bigarmhug: to you.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:19:14 AM »
Can't help with experience, but like Issy wanted to say how sorry I am that you have lost your best buddy  :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 10:13:19 AM »
So very sorry for your loss, the speed with which this has happened makes it harder to comprehend.  :bigarmhug:  Lara had a tumour in her intestines removed along with her spleen, she was 7 years old. Sadly, she did not make it. I do think, with hind sight, that it had progressed further than we realised. The symptoms only become obvious when the disease has progressed too far. The loss is indescribable, I really feel for you.  :bigarmhug:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 02:27:27 PM »
So sorry to hear this, losing your best friend is hard but made worse still by then speed of the disease. My last dog had a spleen tumour, he was a bit  out of sorts  for a couple of days and had difficultly getting up and  I noticed his stomach had started to swell. The vet did an emergency operation in the evening but didn?t hold out much hope,  the tumour was almost the size of a small football and he lost a lot of blood. I think it was only the fact that Biggles was still quite young, that he did manage to pull through but the vet said it was very rare, spleen tumours do usually grow very quickly and survival rate is extremely low. .
The only real consolation is that the rapid onset spared Bob any long suffering but for you of course, the shock has made it harder still to deal with. Try to concentrate on all the happy loving times you had together, he?s still with you in your heart. Sleep tight Bob x
 :bigarmhug:

Offline PennyB

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 05:36:41 PM »
So sad to hear of the sudden loss of Bob.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 07:29:07 PM »
One of my Scotties had this, she was 11, and had been putting on a bit of weight and slowing down. The vet opened her up, but the tumour, which accounted for the 'weight', was too far advanced and spread to the liver, so we had to let her go on the operating table. It was such a shock, we had no idea, she must have been suffering, But dogs are so thrawn you don't always know they are in pain.

So sorry you have lost Bob, especially so suddenly, and try not to feel guilty, we can't always know when they are sick.  Thinking of you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 09:47:18 PM »
Sophie, my cocker spaniel, died from this when she was 14.  She had been poorly for a few days before it was diagnosed and vet did not think she would survive surgery so we had to help her to the Bridge.

My last cocker, Ellie, was diagnosed with this very suddenly when she was eleven and a half.  We had been out walking and she seemed fine, but when we returned home and she lay on her back on the bed I noticed her belly was a bit swollen.  I took her straight to the vet and they thought it was a tumour on her spleen and as they had operated on another cocker with this and he was doing fine, we decided we had to give her a chance.

Sadly when they operated it turned out to not be her spleen, but multiple tumours on her liver which were bleeding and I had to let her go under the anaesthetic, which devastated me to this day that I couldn't be with her.

I know how your are feeling and my heart goes out to you.  It was so sudden with Ellie that I felt she was just snatched away from me.  I wish now I had not put her through the surgery but I had to give her a chance.  It took me a long time to get over losing her, well I never have really, but in time the cocker shaped hole in my heart was helped by Rosie who is now 2 and a total joy. 

I hope with all my heart that you are able to welcome another cocker into your heart and home.  It is the only thing that moved me along.  I feel so sorry for you as I know the pain you are in and if I could take it away I would.

Thinking of you.

Gaynor xx 

I

Offline annclare

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 08:33:40 AM »
My lovely Cassie was diagnosed with a tumour on her spleen when she was over 12. She was operated on by a wonderful lady vet who later died walking through a field of cattle whilst on holiday some time later. I remember telling her to look beyond her age and see only a much loved pet. Cassie survived the op and stayed with me for 18  very precious months. She is in my heart to this day. I remember each one of the 8 cockers I have lost over the years with love and gratitude so I feel for you. x

Offline Bob's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 11:15:47 PM »
Thankyou everyone. One day I will be ready for another cocker. They make me smile so much but nothing will ever come close to replacing what I have lost. Bob was incredibly special to me as my first dog. He will be forever in my heart 💙

[size=8]Jo[/size][/font]xxxx

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 11:41:24 AM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 02:12:12 PM »
They leave such a hole when they go, one day the hole will be Cocker shaped then you will know the time is right to welcome another Cocker in.

That Cocker will be very lucky, they won't be Bob but they will be your much loved and cared for Cocker.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Sharon.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 11:18:19 PM »
As someone said to me when I lost Sophie, 'you will love another one, you will just love it differently'.  And it is true.

One day you will be ready for another cocker and you will love it as much as Bob, just differently.