Author Topic: 1st time dog insurance  (Read 1914 times)

Offline nj.kingston

1st time dog insurance
« on: December 31, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
Hey. I'm just about to sort Maggie's insurance. What level of cover do you think is best to go for & which company?
I know there are other threads saying Pet plan is expensive but pay well & sainsburys are cheaper but harder to get a payout when needed.
It's hard to know what to do for the best.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: 1st time dog insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »
We are with John Lewis, loads of people on here were insured so I went for them as I want really sure what I should look at, but they seemed to cover everything I needed.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
We had no problems with Sainsbury's paying out. Direct line were hard work. Always best to go for the advanced package so if there is a problem it carries on for their lifetime

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
 ;) Freya is with Petplan and so far they havent hiked the fees up on the yearly renewel....went up £1 a month.

Please stay clear of the Kennel Club as from personal experience they have double the yearly premiums the last 3 years and think it ok to charge a small fortune for a dismal service (just my experience though!)
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
;) Freya is with Petplan and so far they havent hiked the fees up on the yearly renewel....went up £1 a month.

Please stay clear of the Kennel Club as from personal experience they have double the yearly premiums the last 3 years and think it ok to charge a small fortune for a dismal service (just my experience though!)

Brodie is with PetPlan - I started off paying about £23 a month and now she is aged four I'm paying £40. Got to say, they have been absolutely brilliant as Brodie has had a lot of problems, especially in the last year, and they have paid out each time, no questions asked.

Just dread to think what I'll have to pay each month when she is older :shades:. Apparently you also start to pay a certain percentage of any claim once your dog reaches old age, but I haven't managed to get this confirmed by them (emailed them a while back and just realised writing this that they didn't answer!)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »
AXA is worth looking at, the premiums aren't too steep for the lifetime policy with the top cover of £7000 per year. You'll find that they also underwrite quite a few of the other insurers. I've never had to claim so can't comment in that respect, but they are very competitive price wise - its my 2nd year with them and the premiums have only gone up a couple of pounds. :D. Currently paying between £10-£14 per dog for their top level.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline beanbag

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:19:31 PM »
Im with Petplan mainly because i have rabbits who are insured with them and they have always been fantastic. We get a discount for multiple pets :) I went for the top band of insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.