Author Topic: Insurance for new puppy  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Pip C

• Zac
Insurance for new puppy
« on: January 04, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »
Can anyone give me any advice on the best company to go through for insurance?  There are so many to choose from.  Not really sure what price a good quote would be.  I have checked online via gocompare etc.  Would just be good to hear other peoples thoughts. :D

Offline abkb

• Donator
Re: Insurance for new puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »
Look here: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?board=153.0

A lot that seem to come up are pet plan, sainsburys, Argos, Axa, John Lewis etc. At the moment we're with John Lewis, and were previously with sainsburys who paid up quick (but premiums jumped this year so we jumped ship)
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »
Bear in mind that premiums vary massively depending on where you live - I pay £27 a month with Axa and live in London, whereas other people with the same policy elsewhere seem to pay about half! Haven't needed to claim yet, so can't advise as to whether Axa's any good yet, but it seemed a pretty good one when I went through this process myself a few months ago.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »
I paid £15 per month for the first year with Jinley and it has now gone up to £17.50 per month.  I am with Sainsburys, mainly for the double points as I shop there every week.  When that ends next year, I will have a shop around.

Pat

Offline Buzby

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:09:40 PM »
To jump in a bit.....    What type if coverage do you get etc?  I have no idea,what to look for. . In Spain there Arent as many companies so it would be great to have a few ideas.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »
Whatever the company I think "Lifetime" coverage is a must and either 5k or 7k of coverage per condition per year.

It really is a minefield though and all companies have had good and bad reports on either service, price hikes or other difficulties.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 11:47:54 AM »
It's definitely a postcode lottery.  Others have paid much less than me when I was looking this time last year.

I was paying 17.50 with Pets at Home (Mollie was a puppy then) and they have upped it to 21.50 pm (without a claim!!).  I shall be looking around again to see if I can better that.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
Have just got a quote from Axa pet insurance for £14.24 a month for £7000 a year lifetime cover. That seems really good to me.
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
Have just got a quote from Axa pet insurance for £14.24 a month for £7000 a year lifetime cover. That seems really good to me.

That's who I have went with this year for both the girls....last year was with Argos and paid approx £23 for Erin and £14 for Tilly...this year they wanted £38 for Erin and£20 for Tilly  with no claims being made.
Axa have gave me the same lifetime cover for £14 for Erin and £9 for Tilly .

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.  I am going to check out Axa as that seems like a good quote.  Have 4 weeks free with petplan but they are expensive.  The vets recommended the local supermarkets. Will post my findings incase anyone is interested. ;)

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
I looked around and most covers for only 12 months, I gone with pet plan as it's for life, and covers not just for vets bills but pays for advertising if pet is lost or stolen, kennels etc!

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »
Gone with Axa.  £13.18 per month with vets fees excess £100 and cover of £7000 per year.  Seems like a great deal. :D

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 11:45:05 PM »
Gone with Axa.  £13.18 per month with vets fees excess £100 and cover of £7000 per year.  Seems like a great deal. :D

Have you got lifetime cover? I'm glad I took that option as William has Dry Eye and needs expensive eye ointment daily and 6 monthly check ups. He was diagnosed 3 years ago and is fully covered for it for the rest of his life. I had to pay my £50 excess when I first claimed for it but not since then.

Offline Pip C

• Zac
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »

Have you got lifetime cover? I'm glad I took that option as William has Dry Eye and needs expensive eye ointment daily and 6 monthly check ups. He was diagnosed 3 years ago and is fully covered for it for the rest of his life. I had to pay my £50 excess when I first claimed for it but not since then.

I don't think it is actually.  It says £7000 per period of insurance which will be annual.  If you get lifetime cover do you have to stay with the same insurer?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »

I don't think it is actually.  It says £7000 per period of insurance which will be annual.  If you get lifetime cover do you have to stay with the same insurer?

No you don't have to stay with the same insurer. The potential snag with changing insurers at any time (regardless of your type of cover) is that your new insurer won't cover any existing conditions. So providing you haven't ever claimed you can shop around and change each year if it gets you a better deal. Once you've claimed for something it becomes more difficult.

If your policy doesn't state lifetime cover you probably haven't got it. Does it say that the £7K covers all conditions in a year and then starts again? Does it mention any limits to claims? Some policies will pay out up to a certain limit on each condition but then won't pay out for that condition ever again.