Author Topic: Insurance - Advice  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Lessie

Insurance - Advice
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »
Hi there,

I just need some advice, it's nice to hear other people's opinion rather than putting pressure on myself to make a decision. (Hate making decisions)

Basically I've just found out my current insurance does not cover one of my dog's condition which I thought they would cover as it's an ongoing condition which could possibly happen again. However because I upgraded his level of cover to a much superior one - this is now classed as 'pre-existing' condition, even though he's still with the same insurance and I've always paid up to date. Also if he was still on the 'Basic level' this would also not be covered. Am gutted - wish they had superior cover when I first applied, anyway!

I am gutted and upset - I wished I spoke to them or at least checked this beforehand. Lesson learnt.

Anyway I've been e-mailing lots of insurance, particuarly mine at the moment, as I've decided to change one of my dog's insurance to a much cheaper one BUT that provides the same cover he currently has.

I was going to keep my spaniel with his current one in case he has the same injury again but seeing that now they won't pay for this in the future. Is there any point of keeping him on?

Do I change his to a superior one even though they won't cover his injuries seeing that it's a pre-existing condition. I'm so upset about this because I do worry and I do get paranoid in case he does have the same injuries again. Touch wood - hopefully not - as he's done well for the past 2 years.

I worry because he's getting older, (7 this year) and I don't want to keep changing insurance, especially with his age so I'd like to stick with a decent one that doesn't cost a bomb. Unfortunately my current insurance has doubled its price - and when I was doing comparisons yesterday - I then realized this was very expensive!

What would you do? Any advice/tips would greatly be appreciated.

I don't have a problem with my Lab - I just worry about my spaniel, and don't want to make the wrong decision with his insurance.

Thank-you for your time reading this.

Kind regards
Lessie

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
Re: Insurance - Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:36:10 PM »
To be honest its a gamble with Insurers and I work in the industry  ;)

I think its a little harsh of the Insurer but I do (sort of) understand where you are both coming from.  The Insurer will say you have changed products so effectively they have started a new policy  :-\

I've just changed from Sainsburys, not made a claim, they've increased both the premium and excess - i've got a quote, albeit not the same cover, but it is less than half - I very nearly self insured but I'm slightly cautious in this respect

There is no Insurer that will insure a pre existing condition, unfortunately you'll have to put that down to experience.  Before you do accept their decision though, I would suggest that you find out who the Head of Pet Underwriting is at the Insurer and run it by them - do this in writing (you could email) and see if speaking to him/her gets a different outcome.