Author Topic: Confused about my cover - an illness which lead to loosing Oscar  (Read 1683 times)

Offline OscarMurphy

Confused about my cover - an illness which lead to loosing Oscar
« on: February 04, 2013, 09:55:20 AM »
Hi Everyone,

We sadly lost Oscar just over 2wks ago.  Having been seemingly fit and healthy he quickly became very lathargic and tests confirmed he had a low red blood cell count - just 8%.  We did everything we could for him to include an emergancy blood transfusion but his immune system was aggressively killing his red cells.  It was a terrible emotional rollercoaster, and sadly we had to let him go after fighting for him over a tough 5-days.

Everyone from our Vet practice (Vets4pets) and the staff at the emergancy animal hospital (Vets Now) were amazing. They tried everything to save my boy.

On Saturday we had to complete the insurance paperwork and this is where I have a question.

We are covered for £x thousands of pounds worth of cover, and Oscar's total vet bill is within our limit.  The claims paperwork also asks what the original purchase price of Oscar was.

As we lost him. Are we only covered for upto his purchase price value OR is this something they'll cover in addition to the cost of care (upto our policy max?).

I guess the paperwork can be read/understood either way around.

Do any of you know how this works?

Thank you.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
Re: Confused about my cover - an illness which lead to loosing Oscar
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »
They should cover all his vets bills and if he was under 8 and you have the invoice from when you bought him, they will pay that in addition

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »
Sorry, i cannot help with your insurance question, i just wanted to say i am sorry to hear you recently lost your Oscar :'( thinking of you at this very sad time  :bigarmhug: run free at the Bridge Oscar :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Bibby

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »
Without reading your policy it is difficult to say, but if you have opted to have the cover for the replacement cost, you should get this in addition to the cost of the vet bills for his treatment.

I am so sorry you have had to say goodbye to Oscar, it is such a painful thing to have to do and my thoughts are with you.
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline OscarMurphy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:15:14 AM »
Thanks guys. Oscar was 6 1/2yrs old. Way too young!

Our Vet has completed their section of the paperwork and posted the entire pack to the insurance company.  We'll just have to see how they process it.  Hopefully, as you all seem to think, the purchase price element doesnt become a 'max level of cover' because we lost him.

Before this, I hadnt heard of AIHA - nor that Spaniels are prone to it.

Cany help asking ourselves "What if.." and "If only.."  If only a blood test was routine/suggested from 5yrs+ in Spaniels at annual booster appointments - would this have been spotted? and could we have prevented this?

One thing is for sure - Oscar was a brilliant companion and super with the kids. He'll never be missed nor forgotten! Taken too soon!

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:16:54 AM »
Would someone at the Vet
help you with the claim, I
understand it might be hard
for you to go back in right now
maybe you could leave the paperwork
for someone to look at... there is
one of the girls at our Vet who
deals with insurance stuff and she
has really good knowledge.
steffxxx
Run free Oscar :luv:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
So sorry to hear about Oscar :'(

It's hard to say without looking at your policy but it's likely that you're covered for Oscar's vet costs and his original purchase price.

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 12:22:20 PM »
Cannot help with your insurance question but wanted to offer my condolences on your loss xx
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce