Author Topic: white on ear  (Read 2255 times)

Offline willows mum

white on ear
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »
I maybe stupid but am wondering can a light b/r or bl/w ticked be shown if it has white on its ear. Is this considered a big fault? as i can't find it on the standard but i haven't seen a show dog with this.

Offline louisedi

Re: white on ear
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:26:11 PM »
How much white is there, a pic is needed, I have seen a b/w ticked being shown like this, what does breeder say about it?

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:07:17 PM »
There is nothing in the Breed Standard to suggest you couldn't show a parti-colour with white on the ear, it is just more aesthetically pleasing for them to be solid black, orange etc.  :D

Offline willows mum

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »
Thankyou, its really about 3/4 of her leather,it mostly runs all the way down the back half of the ear with a little at the bottom , i would put pick on but havent worked out how to do that yet >:(. Its also her left ear which obviously doesnt help.

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:22:57 AM »
My lottie was sold to us due to white being on one ear .. She only kept the puppies with the solid black ears

Her breeder , who shows a lot , considered her to be 'mis marked ' for showing  :huh:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline willows mum

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »
yes i would say shes mis-marked, but she was bought as pet but i miss showing soooo much i thought i would give her a go untill i get proper show doggie(i need the practise :005:

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 04:34:50 PM »
yes i would say shes mis-marked, but she was bought as pet but i miss showing soooo much i thought i would give her a go untill i get proper show doggie(i need the practise :005:

Why not think about going to some Companion Shows if you miss showing and want the practice, they're much more relaxed about things like this.  ;)
Plus you could still take her to ringcraft.

Offline willows mum

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 10:17:34 AM »
Thanks michelle xx

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »
It's not a disqualifying fault is it?  You could still show her (and stack her facing the other way), especially if you really enjoy showing and winning isn't the only reason for entering   :blink:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »
I say go for it, if she doesn't win - you still go home with the best one :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »
I remember reading about this in one of my Cocker Spaniel books - that it's not a fault for showing/breed standard purposes. As others have said, though, judges may be biased against it as it's not the normal colouring.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 12:21:30 PM »
I remember reading about this in one of my Cocker Spaniel books - that it's not a fault for showing/breed standard purposes. As others have said, though, judges may be biased against it as it's not the normal colouring.

Just as some judges prefer solids, whilst some prefer parti-colours. At the end of the day it's all down to the judges opinion.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »
I don't know how old your cocker spaniel is, but when we got Alfie, who is a show type, his right ear was speckled with white, but before he was one it had disappeared and his ear is now completely black.
Alfie at 6 weeks

Alfie now, 3 years

Offline inga

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 09:09:18 AM »
We showed a b/w bitch years ago who won here Junior Warrant and she had white on her ears it is all down to the judge and how much white there is but I don't know many judges would penalize it if they really liked the dog.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
Some judges do have very fixed ideas and can't see beyond what they think of as "unfavourable" or "unconventional" markings but other judges are much more open and look at the dog first, markings second. We are showing a girl at the moment who does not have conventional face markings - some people don't like her but others do so you just have to give it a go really :blink:
Jane