Author Topic: Vetsmedicover insurance  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

Vetsmedicover insurance
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »
Anybody use this company?  Here is a link in case anyone wants to see what they offer: http://www.vetsmedicover.co.uk/

Looks like decent cover. I don't want to insure my puppy with Sainsbury's as they've been abysmal, so I had thought I would go with Petplan as they are quite often recommended. However, having read reviews online they look as bad as the rest!!  So was just wondering what this lot were like if anyone has had experience using them. Thanks.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Vetsmedicover insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:48:44 PM »
I've looked at it and must admit it looks very impressive, I can't find anything that isn't covered. I've put them to the top of the list for Ollie.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:42:44 PM »
Looked good to me too. But a response on another forum wasn't great - said they loaded their premiums despite saying they wouldn't. I don't know what insurance to get for puppy as they all seem as bad as each other. Petplan is supposed to be ok, but who knows.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
Looked good to me too. But a response on another forum wasn't great - said they loaded their premiums despite saying they wouldn't. I don't know what insurance to get for puppy as they all seem as bad as each other. Petplan is supposed to be ok, but who knows.

PetPlan are excellent - I've claimed a lot in the last year with different conditions and they've paid without question. My vet says they very, very rarely - if ever - turn down a claim. However, they are extortionate. I started off paying £23 for puppy Brodie and now pay £40 (she'll be five at the end of the month). And apparently after they reach a certain age you have to pay a percentage of each claim :-\. I have yet to have confirmation from them about that (need to contact them again...)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:19:03 PM »

PetPlan are excellent - I've claimed a lot in the last year with different conditions and they've paid without question. My vet says they very, very rarely - if ever - turn down a claim. However, they are extortionate. I started off paying £23 for puppy Brodie and now pay £40 (she'll be five at the end of the month). And apparently after they reach a certain age you have to pay a percentage of each claim :-\. I have yet to have confirmation from them about that (need to contact them again...)
That's not too bad - I'm currently paying £71 for Ollie (he's 8).  And I expect it to double this year as I claimed for an MRI, and they doubled his premiums last year without that. I think it's a total rip-off. Makes me quite angry as I don't claim needlessly and wouldn't want bionic limbs or anything like that for my dogs. It's for calamitous events, that are treatable. Problem is vet fees are ridiculously high for pets, and just because they know we'll mortgage our houses for our pets  >:(. My puppy's breeder breeds race horses and said a flu vaccination for a horse is less than a kennel cough one for a dog!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »

That's not too bad - I'm currently paying £71 for Ollie (he's 8).  And I expect it to double this year as I claimed for an MRI, and they doubled his premiums last year without that. I think it's a total rip-off. Makes me quite angry as I don't claim needlessly and wouldn't want bionic limbs or anything like that for my dogs. It's for calamitous events, that are treatable. Problem is vet fees are ridiculously high for pets, and just because they know we'll mortgage our houses for our pets  >:(. My puppy's breeder breeds race horses and said a flu vaccination for a horse is less than a kennel cough one for a dog!

Eeek £71!!! Really don't want to think how much I'll be paying when Brodie is older. I seriously thought about giving up insuring Brodie, but after her poor health this year I just wouldn't risk it. They have us cornered, don't they :-\. PetPlan say they don't put up their prices if you claim, but after claiming over £2000 it will be interesting (that may turn out to be the wrong word :P) to see what I have to pay when her next renewal comes in.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
I didn't really like Direct Line, but even though Danny had hip dysphasia and had had £1800 of dental work work done the year before he developed Lymphoma, his insurance at renewal was on £42 at age 7. In that final year we went through another limit claim value of £6k and an extra £2k we paid ourselves.

When we lost Fudge 2 years before we went through over £5k in less than 6 months.

I would never be caught without insurance. Its pricey, yes, but at least it covers most of any unexpected costs.

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
Who are/were you with John?
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
Who are/were you with John?

With Danny we were with Direct Line and they paid out, slowly. With Fudge we were with Sainsbury's and they paid out quickly. All three are now with Sainsbury's, but with Minnie we just pay the first £75, with Rosie and Dennis we pay £75 + 10%. Fortunately we have not claimed for Minnie and (touch wood) not for Dennis or Rosie. I'll be quite happy to go through 12 or 14 years each paying the premium with no claims  :005:

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:41:40 PM »
Might take a look at sainsburys
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
Might take a look at sainsburys

Sainsburys does tend to work slightly different from the other companies. For example with Sainsburys for the top policy you get 7k per condition. This means that the dog could get 1 condition and they will pay out 7k over the life of the condition and thats it. With somewhere like Axa you get 7k per year. So if one condition costs 7k for 1 year that will be paid, and then it costs another 7k for the following year then that will be paid.

I was with Sainsbury's for Jasper and it worked out okay for him (I was paying £120 a month by the time he passed tho!!) I am with Axa for Jacob thank god as he has had 3 hip replacements and with the 7k that Sainsburys would have allowed he would only have had 1 and half replaced before I needed to find the money!