Author Topic: Getting ready for our first show  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Charleigh

Getting ready for our first show
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »
So we have our first show at the end of march and I wanted to ask some questions as I just want to double check some things

I have this lead http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=300868603956&index=11&nav=SEARCH&nid=60024115359 I was advised just to get a cheapy one to start off with then get a nicer one from a show so I can try them on. This lead is fine isn't it?

Is it best to have a lead similar to their coat colour? Teddy is orange roan and this was the closest I saw.

When I stack her and when shes on the table, the lead should be loosened so they can see her neck? Then tightened when I walk her?

What should I do to prepare her coat for the show? I was thinking a wash in just water the night before then a good brush and comb, then just a touch up on the day. She'll be 6 months for her show, should I have had her coat cut by then or not?

Can I clean her teeth before the show? Or is this against the rules?

How long do shows usually last?

Any general advice would be great, it's our first ever show so I don't know what to expect

Offline Lee

Re: Getting ready for our first show
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:45:30 AM »
Hi Charleigh,

We also show an orange roan called Henry :luv: and we have a show lead just like the one you have linked, it suits us and we are happy with it! :lol2:

As regarding when you stack Teddy, you can loosen the lead if you like, were new to the show world too and are still learning ourselves but i have seen people who loosen and people who don't so i guess do what you feel comfortable with.

The night before a show we always give Henry a bath, shampoo & Condition, then towel dry and hairdry brushing thoroughly the way that the coat should fall naturally. This can take some time, but it's so worth it ;)

As Teddy is only six months old, the coat might not be ready to be handstipped, have you done any research into Handstripping etc? Anyways for your first show you will most likely be against other puppies and their coats will all be at different stages so don't worry too much

You can clean Teddy teeth before the show no problems.

As for the timescale... well alot depends on when your class is and how many dogs are in each class? Are you going to an open show?

We found it all a bit intimidating to start with and we are still abit intimidated to be honest we have only done 4 shows so like i said we are learning the ropes too.

Hopefully someone with more experience might be able to give you a bit more advise or if i can help you anymore i will, you may have to wait a few days for more advise as I'm sure that all the lovely cocker people up and down the country that have all the answers are preparing for crufts. If you are and your reading this good luck and please give Charleigh some advise when you can?

Hope that's helped you Charleigh, like i say if you need anymore advise i'll do my best. ;)

Offline Charleigh

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:45:47 PM »
He sounds lovely, out of interest how orange is he? Teddy is very orange.

I don't think it is quite ready yet, I've tried to pull little bits out myself and maybe one hair will come out, so I don't think she's ready, she's only 5 1/2 months ATM so I might need to wait a bit!

Tbh she has a really smooth coat apart from her top knot! I always brush it down after a bath and it stays then someone comes along and ruffles it up so she has a Mohican! It does look cute though haha.

It's quite hard getting her to stay in a stand, our ringcraft teacher laughs because she has a really nice stand with her legs usually in the right places but then she'll sit down or turn around or something, bless her :)

I was thinking about perhaps getting her a wash and blow dry at a groomers the day before but I'm not decided yet. Do you use a grooming table? I'm hoping to get one as she stands lovely on the one at our ringcraft class but when I tried with the ironing board and the kitchen side she just jumped onto my shoulders so I don't think they were sturdy enough for her. So I'm hoping to get one for her.

Yeah it's an open show, thank you for all your advice you've been so helpful :)

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 12:38:40 PM »
I have this leader

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Round-Leather-Dog-Show-Slide-Lead-Various-Colours-/130852436402?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item1e7769b9b2 (mine is 5mm and 48" - when I got it, I told the lady I had no idea what I was looking for - so she advised that, and I think it's just right) - it was stiff when it arrived, but it has softened really nicely.

This is the grooming table I have http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Portable-Mobile-Dog-or-Cat-Grooming-Table-/261088502356?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3cca166254 - one of my best purchases.

Charlie is 19months and gets bored doing the "stand", at home he's perfect...but in public  >:D :005:.

Just when you go to your first show, don't expect anything, just go through the motions, if she does it right, or gets placed then that is brilliant, but take it as 'real life practice' - Charlie's first show wasn't very good - I think the noise was a bit over whelming for him (there was an irish water spaniel going off it, in it's cage); however I enjoyed the experience and met some lovely people.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane1320

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:10:25 PM »
Hi we too are getting ready for our first show. It's lovely to read about people at the same stage. We did take our 5 month old puppy for a hand strip, but they only did a little just to get her used to the idea. I don't think I have the right lead, but I was hoping some may be on sale there for our later shows. My question is do I need a cage to keep Myrtle in while she's not showing, I've heard different things. Our cage is very old and rusty should I get a new one? And is it best to keep breakfast light that morning for her? Excited but very nervous of doing the wrong thing!! ph34r

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 10:25:56 PM »
Are you entered at an Open or Championship show? Most Champ shows are benched and therefore a cage on the bench gives a safe place for your puppy to sit and rest.

Open shows can be very busy and personally, I like to have a crate to create our space again where puppy can get away from it all and you can be hands free to have a drink and sort yourself out too.  I wouldn't want to leave them out in the car for example but you could leave them in the crate and there is usually someone about who's willing to keep an eye on your dog whilst you nip to the loo.

If you don't know whether you are going to carry on with showing, maybe get a wire brush on the crate and tidy it up and throw a blanket over it a) because it'll be more cosy for pup and b) you don't have to think anyone is looking at your crate!  Showing can be very costly so I would wait and see what is going to work for you before you start spending a fortune.

As to feeding, our pup doesn't travel too well so we are taking her breakfast with us and feeding when we get to the show.  It depends on what time you have to leave home but with the older boy, I've always tried to be up and feed an hour before travelling.  You might not want to do that if you have a 5am start though!

If you are likely to be at the show all day and you are feeding midday still, you might want to take something for them to eat during the day too.

Some shows have leads and bits and pieces for sale but not all of them and I've often found that the stands don't always have the sliding leads that we use on the cockers.  Fellow exhibitors are very helpful though. If you can set up close to someone in the same breed, there may be someone willing to loan you a lead if the one you have is not working for you.  Is there someone at ringcraft you can ask though?

Good luck in your first shows, most importantly, have fun and enjoy your day, whatever the judge may think, you take the best dog home  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jane1320

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 08:10:02 AM »
Thank you so much that's fantastic advice. Fortunately it's very close as we have some travel issues too. (As in which end first) Ooooops  :o

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:40:50 AM »
Hopefully you will find other cocker exhibitors at the show who will guide you- dont be shy about asking questions as we all started off once at our very first shows!! Which show are you going to?

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:19:32 PM »
I dont have a crate; as Charlie doesn't really like them; he's happier to sit on my knee and look around (however, we usually try and find a quiet spot). I'd also advise, unless you have an early class; to take chairs with you (some places have chairs, most dont).

I feed Charlie before I go, as there would be no chance of getting him to eat at a show (he's too nosey).

For your first show, have a few walks around the ring first; let the pup sniff all the nice distracting smells now, so that it's not done during your actual bit.

I think I'd also be inclined to get a cover for your crate (same reasons as Jaspersmum said).

Of the shows I've been to; only 1 has had leads for sale (ok I haven't been to loads).

I have this lead
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xleather+show+lead+dog&_nkw=leather+show+lead+dog&_sacat=0&_from=R40 but other people use different styles.

If possible I'd try and take your pup along to a show before her first show, so she can experience the noise/atmosphere first.

Offline Jane1320

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
Thank you again, that's some good advice. We're off to the Cockers open show in Cricklade this weekend. Really just to get the feel of it, Myrtle seems to be suffering from hayfever so we're not looking our best  :005:

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
Thank you again, that's some good advice. We're off to the Cockers open show in Cricklade this weekend. Really just to get the feel of it, Myrtle seems to be suffering from hayfever so we're not looking our best  :005:

where are your manners?  we  need photos :luv: :005:.  It'll be a good experience for you both :)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »
We will see you at Cricklade  ;)  Taking both the blacks and since we are on committee, will no doubt be flitting around

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Jane1320

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
Oh fantastic, we'll be the terrified ones in the corner  :lol2:  I have so so many photos but can't seem to work out photobucket yet  :016:

Offline butterflywings21

• Tilly 10/02/2013~Jenson 09/01/2019
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
 :luv: :luv: