Author Topic: Dog showing help  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Josie81

Dog showing help
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
Hi there,

I am just wanting a bit of advice/information about showing. I have absolutely no experience of showing, but it is something that I have always been interested in doing. I would love to take my Cocker to a show, but the thing is that he doesn't meet up with the 'breed standard'. Although his dad was a show winner at big shows (his mum wasn't though), my Alfie is too tall (just over 15 inches at the moment, at 9 months) and has other 'imperfections', such as has a bit of pigment in the white of his eyes. So I am just wondering if there are some shows that I could still take him too where I won't be up against Cockers that match or come very close to the breed standard?

He is also very hyperactive and has a short attention span at the moment. I do take him to training classes -he is working towards his bronze at the moment, but he is struggling -I am hoping that we will get there in the end with the training!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Josie x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Dog showing help
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
No dog is perfect - even the top dogs have little imperfections so there's no reason why you shouldn't have a go showing your boy :D At just over 15inches, your boy isn't actually over-sized as the standard states 15.5 ins to 16 ins approx for dogs - he may be bigger than some in the puppy classes but all pups grow at different rates, some are slow to reach their adult height and some reach it by 8 or 9 months. Re the pigment in his eye, unless it's very obvious, it may not be noticeable except under close examination and even then, it doesn't mean he won't be considered by a judge - judges should look at the "whole" dog and balance up all the good points and not so good when making their decisions.

You could always try a few Companion shows to begin with (local, fun shows which are more informal than the KC Open and Championship Shows) and see if you and your boy enjoy showing. If you can find some ringcraft classes in your area, this would help a lot in training both you and your puppy for what's expected in the show ring. If you say where you live roughly, someone may be able to recommend a class to you :blink:
Jane

Offline Josie81

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply and for your help, Jane. I live in the East Midlands. Ringcraft classes sound like a good plan, so if anyone knows of one or can recommend one in my area then that would be great. :)

His eye is quite noticeable in that he kind of like has a, I think(?), thin third lower eyelid that is dark brown which sometimes covers the white of his eye a bit. It doesn't bother him, but I do notice it in that it looks like he has brown pigment in the white of his eye. :s

Josie x 

Offline katie94

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »
Josie, I'm in the east midlannds and take Rufus to a fantastic ring craft group, where abouts roughly are you? Ours is based in 3 area's of the east midlands.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »
His eye is quite noticeable in that he kind of like has a, I think(?), thin third lower eyelid that is dark brown which sometimes covers the white of his eye a bit. It doesn't bother him, but I do notice it in that it looks like he has brown pigment in the white of his eye. :s

Third eyelids can be brown (pigmented) or pink (unpigmented) - some dogs have one of each. Could this be what you mean? If so, then it's really nothing to worry about :blink:
Jane

Offline Josie81

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I am from around Derbyshire, Katie. Are any of the groups around here?

Jane -I think it may be that -his left eye has like a clear, bluey one but his right eye has a dark brown one?

Josie x

Offline katie94

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Will pm you when we've finished our disobedience class tonight.

Offline katie94

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
Have PM'd you.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 12:39:30 PM »

Third eyelids can be brown (pigmented) or pink (unpigmented) - some dogs have one of each. Could this be what you mean? If so, then it's really nothing to worry about :blink:

Charlie has this...(one of each) and we still go to shows with him. Charlie is also tall, he's about 16". I say go for it, you will have fun, you might never win, but so long as you both enjoy it then it's fine, and if you win then it's a bonus :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »
Jane -I think it may be that -his left eye has like a clear, bluey one but his right eye has a dark brown one?

That's fine then - it's not a fault under the standard and as long as the eyelids are tight, most judges wouldn't even notice ;)
Jane

Offline Josie81

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
Thanks everyone, that's good news, and thanks for the PM Katie :)