Author Topic: Bad experience at show  (Read 1890 times)

Offline GLORIA

• Site Member
Bad experience at show
« on: August 25, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »
Was at an Open show yesterday with my boy. All was fine going round initially and whilst the judge went over him VERY THOROUGHLY on the table. Then for some reason the judge gave him a hearty slap on the rump (audible from the ring side). My boy swung round, alarmed, to see  who had done this to him. The judge then proceeded to "rough him up" around his head, possibly to say "sorry I didn't mean to startle you". Sadly he had ! Why did the judge do all this ? Would he have done it to a GSD or a Rottie ? I think not !
Needless to say when the judge tried to go over my boy again in the line up he shied away. I am now seriously concerned that he is going to be worried about future judges. I pray that he wont.

Offline katie94

Re: Bad experience at show
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
What a horrible judge >:D hopefully it won't have put your boy off being gone over in the future. I would have been furious if a judge did that to my dog. Do you go to ring craft classes? If so could you get people there to go over him to help gain his confidence again? If not could you find a good one and explain what has happened etc

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:30:38 PM »
I really don't think some judges think how what they do might affect a dog - they're not deliberately trying to upset dogs but don't realise how rough they are (thankfully only a small minority) The same thing happened to our young boy a few months ago (a judge was overly rough going over him on the table & it spooked him) and we were worried it would really put him off showing completely but he's ok now and has won 2 RCCs since -you just need to make sure your boy has a nice experience next time (perhaps take him to ringcraft and get someone sensible to go over him :blink:)
Jane

Offline kaycee

• Wow!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »
Hi , we have had quite a few bad experiences with judges over the years, most recently at a match judged by a well known cocker judge , our puppy was 6 months and because he fidgeted on the table, she grabbed him by his testicles and yanked him underneath to try and keep him still, unfortunately it all happened too quick to stop her,she then saID" NOT VERY HAPPY AT THE BACK END IS HE" I then replied "not surprised after that" when putting him on the floor i could not get him to move as he was so worried the nasty lady at the table may be following behind!!!  luckily he is a very laid back boy and after a couple of ringcraft sessions he was fine. Now i have made up my mind if a judge is rough in future i will not be holding my tongue!!! >:D

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:03:36 PM »
Hi , we have had quite a few bad experiences with judges over the years, most recently at a match judged by a well known cocker judge , our puppy was 6 months and because he fidgeted on the table, she grabbed him by his testicles and yanked him underneath to try and keep him still, unfortunately it all happened too quick to stop her,she then saID" NOT VERY HAPPY AT THE BACK END IS HE" I then replied "not surprised after that" when putting him on the floor i could not get him to move as he was so worried the nasty lady at the table may be following behind!!!  luckily he is a very laid back boy and after a couple of ringcraft sessions he was fine. Now i have made up my mind if a judge is rough in future i will not be holding my tongue!!! >:D

You have got to pity her husband  :shades: :shades: