Author Topic: Puppy Blues  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Puppy Blues
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »
Sorry but I don't agree with your trainer's methods. I prefer to reward the behaviour you want rather than "correct" behaviour you don't. This can lead to problems further down the line. Archie was the absolute puppy from hell regarding biting.  >:D He had other issues as well and if you read some of my early posts you will see that I was utterly miserable and desperate quite a lot of the time!! I lived in Ugg boots and old clothes as he ripped many things to shreds. He wasn't interested in alternative toys and took no notice of me yelping - it just egged him on more. I played lots of tug games but if any part of me ended up in his mouth I simply said "no biting", got up and walked away. After a second or two I went back to the game. When he was really bad I would lead him (he was on a houseline most of the time beacuse of the biting) to the other side of the baby gate that I have in the lounge doorway and shut him behind it. Since he was able to see me he would settle quietly behind it and then I let him back in. Sometimes I would do this many, many times before he got the message that biting meant being away from me.
Even my little monster grew out of it eventually (although he does sometimes still like to hold on to a nice wooly jumper  :shades: ) Hang in there. It will get better.

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »
I think it's natural, I felt very down yesterday and thought we'd made a mistake in taking her on - I'd had little sleep, I'd been cleaning up poo and pee all morning and Daisy was being particularly naughty and I was just exhausted and frustrated. However, I got up today and felt much better, she's done some wees outside, she's played nicely and now she's asleep on my lap as I type  :luv: I'm alone with her all day and sometimes it does get a bit much, I give her her kong, put her in the utility room and go upstairs for 20 mins or so just to get some space.

Offline lesley3165

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »
I would say that it is only in the last few weeks that I can say that Meg has stopped "biting" It did get a lot less after about 16 weeks but then teething kicked in and there were episodes of "biting" again. We all learnt to have a toy or chew to hand to put in her mouth instead. This lasted until about 22 weeks and then we have had about half a dozen tantrums where we have stopped her doing something and she has thrown a strop and tried to bite. Here we are at 26 ish weeks and  we have just said today how much better she is. Fingers crossed I'll not be eating my words!!!

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
I agree with Archie Bean and would ignore the info the "trainer" has given you.  Puppies just do explore the world with their mouths and particularly cocker spaniels who, after all, are gundogs and bred to use their mouths.  I think the best advice you have been given is to get a crate, as Jeff suggested, and when he is in a particularly bitey mood put your puppy in it for some time out.  it's not a punishment so make it a nice experience for him by giving him a treat to have in there like a chew or kong.  I would build up slowly until he will happily settle in there for an hour or so.  That way you all get a break.

When he does bite you, he has to learn that all interaction stops so just move your hands away, walk away or whatever it takes for him to know biting isn't fun - it means the fun stops.

He will grow out of it and it will be worth it in the end.  We've all been there.

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »
All your advice is brilliant..... And I feel so much better today! Thank you all  :bigarmhug:

I was thinking we'd made a massive mistake but I know now we haven't. I had to ask the question because as I've been reading everyone's posts it's clear you all adore your dogs and I was thinking that I'm not normal!! Hehe.

I wasn't going to buy a crate but I think I'm going to order one now, I have also been putting him in the utility with some treats and toys for 20 mins or so till I have chilled out a bit and then gone back to him.

I also think he picks up on my temperament, I've been feeling calmer and happier today and he seems to have been happier. He's probably learnt his lesson yesterday all my nagging!!  :005: my husband said I can do that sometimes........

Abbie & Reggie

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »
I forgot to mention that I had quite a bit of success with this diffuser. I still use it overnight as Archie doesn't sleep for longer that two hrs at a time day or night. With the diffuser on I get three and sometimes four hrs at a time now!!

http://www.petremedy.co.uk/

It cheaper on Amazon  ph34r

Offline JulieM

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »
Chin up- like the others say it does get much, much easier  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
hilhames - your trainer wouldn't be part of the barkbusters regime would they?

helen & jarvis x

Offline PopPops

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »

Oh I so remember those weeks and wondering why I'd ever thought I wanted a dog who just wanted to bite me.  :lol2:  I completely agree with Jeff, I survived by crating Pops when she turned into a bitey monster, and actually found as a side effect that a lot of why she was biting and hyper was that she was exhausted and needed several scheduled naps. As soon as I crated her she used to flop in a heap and pass out. I currently have ten month old nephews who also go like bombs and flatly refuse to nap until you insist and they're so overtired they're horrid. By about 20 weeks it was like having a different dog.

As for the biting.... argh, don't depress me, Pops is 10 months and still mouthing at times (although gently, it's much much better than it was.) So if they should have stopped by six months I've failed horrifically. She's just this week though got the social sophistication that if I look at her and say in shocked tones "excuse me!" if she chews on my hand, she stops instantly and licks instead.  :005:

Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 06:23:25 PM »

As for the biting.... argh, don't depress me, Pops is 10 months and still mouthing at times (although gently, it's much much better than it was.) So if they should have stopped by six months I've failed horrifically. She's just this week though got the social sophistication that if I look at her and say in shocked tones "excuse me!" if she chews on my hand, she stops instantly and licks instead.  :005:

No failure at all. Archie was still doing it at one!  :shades:

Offline PopPops

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »

No failure at all. Archie was still doing it at one!  :shades:

I often have the strangest feeling Pops and Archie are related  :005:
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »

Oh I so remember those weeks and wondering why I'd ever thought I wanted a dog who just wanted to bite me.  :lol2:  I completely agree with Jeff, I survived by crating Pops when she turned into a bitey monster, and actually found as a side effect that a lot of why she was biting and hyper was that she was exhausted and needed several scheduled naps. As soon as I crated her she used to flop in a heap and pass out. I currently have ten month old nephews who also go like bombs and flatly refuse to nap until you insist and they're so overtired they're horrid. By about 20 weeks it was like having a different dog.

Not all dogs stop at 6 months but it does tend to change to mouthing rather than biting this can still be uncomfortable at times but is nothing like the pain they can give as pups. Teal will mouths me  at 14 months she does this for attention pulling on my hands to do something with her. There is no growling or aggression a bit like a toddler showing off.

This only happens in the house she has never done this outside I guess its because she is at her happiest when her nose is on the floor. I must stress this is not like the biting I had from her as a pup its more like follow me in the lassie films or Dad do as I want now ...so she still gets to visit the crate now and again until she has it out of her system and is ready for cocker cuddles.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 09:25:37 PM »
Stair gates and crate!!!
Especially if you have small children - the stair gates give children and puppy time out from each other and are an absolute god send in my opinion.
We have 2 stair gates even though our dogs are all grown up now (well, Alfie is a year old)  The biting does get better, but remember - cockers are not called C(r)ockerdiles for nothing!!!
Your pup needs to learn that it is not OK to bite - you or the children - and we we used to have toys all around the place that could quickly and easily be given to the pup when in serious biting /nipping mood so that they could be distracted. 
Good luck and just remember - it does get better!!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline cjealing

• millie & me.
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »
Oh Yes... we remember those days , we were at times beside ourselves , COL were always helpfull & definatly kept us sane.. Dear Millie pushed all the buttons & had us frustrated & almost in tears most days ... but things slowly got better & with patience & training Millie is a wonderfull companion & a very intelligent loving dog.. We REALLY would'nt be the same without her..  :D  Keep up the good work, you WILL be rewarded...  :003:

Offline Sharpie

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:45 PM »
I remember this too- I wore gloves for the first few weeks as my hands were so sore...and the same old jumper that had holes ripped in it... >:(

Oh- I am so with you!

I lived in the kitchen (almost) for what seemed like weeks, and the stairgate was the saviour to my own space (although not for long while the house training was going on... :shades:)

I was beside myself on some days, but had lots of help & support from the lovely posters on here ..so hang in there!!

9 months in, and the biting has almost stopped, and my clothes are no longer in shreds (although Daisy does still have the wrong type of shoe habit....)

I also agree with the PetRemedy stuff that Archiebean suggested..I tried it on her recommendation and it does make a difference. :cool4:

"Time out" also helped..ironically, I was trying to tire her out, and as others have also said, was making the situation worse...now I realise when she is "overtired" (which is normally when any mouthing now starts)..

Persevere- you will get lots of invaluable help from here :) :)