Author Topic: Pet Plan Covered for Life insurance.  (Read 3625 times)

Offline abzy0309

Pet Plan Covered for Life insurance.
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »
I've just sorted Reggie's insurance and after much debate I have decided on PetPlan. I have gone for the option of being covered for £4000 as opposed to £7000.  Do you think this will be enough, I'm debating whether to change it  :-\

It's all so confusing!

Abbie & Reggie

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Pet Plan Covered for Life insurance.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
If you can afford it, I would go for the highest you can afford. Just thinking of something like cruciate rupture which can cost a few thousand and could use your £4000 up, if then the second one goes, it wouldn't be covered anymore...  :-\
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »
Having had a really bad year and a half with Brodie's health I'd always go for as much as you can afford. It doesn't take much for things to add up, even severe and chronic ear infections can be very costly.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »
Hi,

See my thread here; http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=106734.msg1564350#msg1564350

I called PetPlan to ask about their policies, and did ask about swapping plans with them;

* They will accept a swap of plan to decrease cover without issue, but for an increase they will ask for reasons, etc. and normally only perform at renewal
* However, if they refuse, you can cancel and re-sign up, but then its a new policy...with all the possible issues that can bring

We are starting with PetPlan on the £7000 cover, as the little extra seems worth it 'just in case'

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
One of our previous dogs, Penny, a terrier cross, had her cruciate ligament rupture operated on plus all the post-op care and physio only to have the other ligament go within a few months. Another op, post-op care and physio then, just as it was all coming together nicely she was diagnosed with bowel cancer and despite the very best of care we had to have her put to sleep a month later.
We ended up using all of our 4k insurance cover plus nearly £2k from our own pocket.

Both our cockers are now on 7k premium lifetime cover with the same insurance company as they were very understanding with Penny and, although they didn't actually break their rules, they were bent very much to our advantage  ;).
We also have both Milly and Chaz on a vets policy covering their annual vaccinations, worming, flea control and a host of other checks.
Then, as a belt and braces sort of thing, when we got Milly we opened a savings account for doggie stuff with our bank. Just £25/month when we got Milly but we increased it to £40/month when Chaz came along. Haven't had to use it yet and there's just over £1k sitting there at a ridiculously low rate of interest  >:(, but it does give us a lot of peace of mind  ;).

I feel that you can't NOT pay for your dog's care and I'd hate to be in a position where available funds became a consideration in deciding the amount of medical care that's available for our dogs....They're FAMILY  :luv: :luv:

Bob.

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »
We also have both Milly and Chaz on a vets policy covering their annual vaccinations, worming, flea control and a host of other checks.

Is this like a payment plan for these things?

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 01:39:27 AM »
Yes, most of the plans are underwritten by a bank or insurance company and therefore come under the auspices of the FSA for the security of both the vet and the contributor.
All of the ones that I've looked at take a monthly payment by direct debit to spread the cost and some give a small reduction for an advance annual payment.
In our case we pay annually in advance and achieve a reduction of some 30% on the cost of a year's treatment, vaccination and veterinary fees, based on the payments we made in the year before the plan was offered by our vet.
Our annual fees through the plan offered by our vet are £276 for two cockers, £12/month for the first and £11/month for the second.
This covers each dog for two full veterinary health checks a year, cost of annual vaccinations, 12 months worming and flea treatment (Advocate + Drontal), nail clipping and weight checks. In addition we get between 5% and 20% off other veterinary procedures and also off services at our vet's premises like grooming, boarding etc. and off some of the products that are on sale there.
As an example, we recently had our working cocker, Chaz, neutered. The normal cost at our vet would have been £124 but we were charged £103. Similarly the normal cost of grooming there is £35 but we would pay £28.

There are several schemes available and, although broadly similar, they each have their own set of things that are covered. If your local vet offers such a scheme the prices can vary considerably according to location and the general vet fees in the surrounding area.

Bob.

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 08:49:43 AM »
Thank you for your advice everyone... We have gone ahead for the £4000 one and the customer agent at PetPlan said we can change within 14 days from our documents arriving to upgrade without it effecting our policy... Or being classed as a new policy. So we shall probably do this, although I am not 100% as we too pay £9.95 per month for a service that you have described Bob. This has saved us money already as we've had his vaccinations and microchip done so far.

We've been quoted £22.90 for Reggie for the Life policy with £4000 vet bills and £75 excess. I thought this seemed pretty good compared to some of the other quotes???

Thanks again  :D

Abbie & Reggie

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:58:31 AM »
Wow, sounds good, will check our vets to see if they do same.

Bob, do the insurance companies accept claims with discounts from payment plans? --- We had an issue with personal dental plan for the same idea (monthly pay for checkups and discounted extra work), where health plan wouldnt pay as we were paying dentist via other means!!! (despite it saving them money on claims!)

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:05:26 PM »
Wow, sounds good, will check our vets to see if they do same.

Bob, do the insurance companies accept claims with discounts from payment plans? --- We had an issue with personal dental plan for the same idea (monthly pay for checkups and discounted extra work), where health plan wouldnt pay as we were paying dentist via other means!!! (despite it saving them money on claims!)

I've no idea, best to check with the particular insurance company.

The only veterinary procedure we've had done since joining the scheme, Chaz's neutering, wouldn't be covered under any pet insurance that I've come across as it was elective rather than required surgery.

Our experience is that, once you've signed up and filled in the paperwork, there's very little contact with any of the companies involved and the whole thing's administered by the vet, or the receptionist. I assume it would be up to them as to who gets to pay the bill unless, as in the case of the neutering, it's paid by us.
We just make sure that we mention our membership of the scheme whenever we book an appointment for the visits that are covered by the scheme. We're given a receipt with a zero charge applied and stating that the costs are covered by the scheme.
Procedures that we pay for ourselves, Chaz's neutering for example, has the scheme discount applied by the receptionist before we pay the bill.
Anything else, if covered by our pet insurance, is billed direct to our insurers.

I look on it as the vet scheme covering the cost of normal maintenance and MOT, the pet insurance covering accidents, illness and disastericals, and my wallet covering anything else  :005:. Keeps everything nice and simple without having to worry unduly about huge and unexpected vet bills.

Bob.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
Our first main bill for Lyla when she burst her disc was £5000+  I would always go for the highest cover. You never think it will happen but if it does, it's good to know you have more than enough cover x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline hilhames

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
whew!  Ploughing through all these insurance links, I think our dogs have better medical cover than we do!

Offline Ldavies38

• Mum to Mae
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »
Abzy0309, I've got 10,000 cover £85 excess for my 17 week old with KC for £20 a month they did a £5000 cover but the price didn't vary much.  Hilhames!!! Your right!! I only have a small policy for our health!!
First time cocker owner 🐶

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »
whew!  Ploughing through all these insurance links, I think our dogs have better medical cover than we do!

But then doglets don't have good ole NHS to fall back on  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »
Abzy0309, I've got 10,000 cover £85 excess for my 17 week old with KC for £20 a month they did a £5000 cover but the price didn't vary much.  Hilhames!!! Your right!! I only have a small policy for our health!!

Thats good. Do they have to be KC registered tho?

Abbie & Reggie