Author Topic: Let's hope I have more luck with PetPlan / Axa update  (Read 2861 times)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Let's hope I have more luck with PetPlan / Axa update
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:57:40 PM »
So, after my (ongoing) disaster with Axa I have now taken out a new policy with PetPlan. They're underwritten by Allianz, who I also have my buildings insurance with (and have been pleased with so far). I'm now paying £34 a month, with a £110 excess (higher because in London, I guess) and no cover for Henry's cataract. It covers up to £7,000 and has a 10% discount fof the first year.

Got a swift reply to my complaint from Axa - they reviewed it and still think it's fair (they said that they think it's now resolved - er, no!). They take into account your previous claims and potential future claims (ie price you so high so you won't be able to stay with them and make any future claims). There's a good FB group discussion going on about it (I'm not the only one who's experiencing this, although others who have claimed more have little or no increase). Tomorrow I shall call the Ombudsman, but not sure I'll get anywhere, in spite of good publicity (Radio 4 and possible interest from the BBC's One Show). I just have to hope that Henry's eye is better at his next check-up in 3 weeks.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Let's hope I have more luck with PetPlan / Axa update
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:03 AM »
I have Minstrel with Petplan and they gave me two free months if I took up the plan by 15th Sept, mine is £7000 covered & £2000 cover for complementary care.  his conditions covered with £33 per month + £90 excess.

This seemed reasonable to me, specially after reading some of the premiums being paid....a wait and see game if he has any probs during this year, as to next year's premium I guess.

Hope you get on ok with PP
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
I recently moved Emily (nearly 12) from axa underwritten Sainsbury 's to petplan essentials (only policy I could get for her due to her age.  She was diagnosed with anal gland tumour 17 days after the change. DIagnostics and surgery £2600.  They've just paid out (minus 20% excess) with no questions asked. Pleased with them so far.  Hope you get on well with them.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:14:29 AM »
I am now stuck with no insurance for Vixen after her 470% increase with Axa  :-\ I took out a Pet Plan policy for her, but they asked for a copy of her full vet history and then wrote to me to say that she is not insurable. Its very frustrating as I only wanted the cover for emergency things, third party stuff and just generally because I dont like not having a dog not covered.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:39:13 AM »
I am now stuck with no insurance for Vixen after her 470% increase with Axa  :-\ I took out a Pet Plan policy for her, but they asked for a copy of her full vet history and then wrote to me to say that she is not insurable. Its very frustrating as I only wanted the cover for emergency things, third party stuff and just generally because I dont like not having a dog not covered.
Uninsurable?  That's shocking.  The more I hear and read about the pet insurance industry the more of a scam it appears.  I also have it for 'calamitous' events and don't claim for monthly meds/ grass seed removal or eye/ ear infections and the like.  It's a shame that there isn't any cover available for this without having to pay for everything else.  I also believe that veterinary fees are excessive and the prices charged are based on the fact that they know pet owners (and their insurance companies) will pay whatever they charge.  I reckon the whole pet insurance industry as well as veterinary charges for pets need investigation.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:56 AM »
Would it be worth asking your vet if they do a plan?

I pay around £10 per month to cover Jinley for all of her injections and 2 check ups a year, but I could also pay an additional £10 to cover accidents (but not illnesses).

Pat

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
Would it be worth asking your vet if they do a plan?

I pay around £10 per month to cover Jinley for all of her injections and 2 check ups a year, but I could also pay an additional £10 to cover accidents (but not illnesses).

Pat

Vixen has an immune mediated disease so isn't vaccinated or any other chemical treatments (like flea treatment). This condition was pre-existing prior to her Axa policy so my credit card has a 6k dent in for all of the treatment over the years. She now is terminal with a metabolic storage disease that is killing her brain and requires no ongoing treatment. So all I really wanted was Axa to respect that she is dying, she would be unlikely to have any other vet treatment but I want to keep the policy at a decent price for peace at mind.

But I really do rate Pet Plan. I will be transferring Jacob when his Axa policy renewal comes through next year (I won't move him sooner due to his hips/spine/knees) to Pet Plan (but the other 2 girls are now over 10, so not sure who to go through for them when their renewals go up)

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »
But I really do rate Pet Plan. I will be transferring Jacob when his Axa policy renewal comes through next year (I won't move him sooner due to his hips/spine/knees) to Pet Plan (but the other 2 girls are now over 10, so not sure who to go through for them when their renewals go up)

Petplan essentials.  I pay £28pm for my 11yo girl.  £3K cover per condition. 

Offline jasper_boy

• Jacob's Den
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 11:38:17 AM »

Petplan essentials.  I pay £28pm for my 11yo girl.  £3K cover per condition. 

Do you know if that is a for life policy or just for a year?

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
It's only for a year.  But so far has been well worth it.