Author Topic: Advice for first show  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Debs46

• Willow 15/04/13
Advice for first show
« on: October 07, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
Hi All,
I've got my first show coming up and wanted some advice please.  Are you allowed to have a small bag on you with treats in.  I've got a very small purse that goes across my shoulder that I use for rewards for my 6 month old.  I'm also still having a little bit of trouble with her leaning back on her legs when she is on the table and trying to turn when anyone feels around her back end.  Any tips to solve these issues would be a great help thanks.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: Advice for first show
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
Hi All,
I've got my first show coming up and wanted some advice please.  Are you allowed to have a small bag on you with treats in.  I've got a very small purse that goes across my shoulder that I use for rewards for my 6 month old.  I'm also still having a little bit of trouble with her leaning back on her legs when she is on the table and trying to turn when anyone feels around her back end.  Any tips to solve these issues would be a great help thanks.

I normally put treats in my pocket, I try and not use them, but if he's being awkward then I use them.

Charlie leans to one side if I show him with his head to my right, so I just show him with his head to my left (problem solved). Charlie also, sometimes turns to see what is going on at his back end - treats do solve this. TBH it's all practice.

For your first show, just go through the motions; if you do well or get placed, fantastic, if not, then it was great experience. It'll also be good to speak to other people at the show :)

Good luck
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Debs46

• Willow 15/04/13
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
The only time I give her a treat now is right at the end when she's done her final stand at the end of her walk.  I tend to use the bag as a form of attention, if I put my hand to it, she's right there looking at me.

As for her leaning back, I was advised at ringcraft to put her front legs on the edge of the grooming table and tempt her forward with a treat.  It does help a little.  If I go round to the front of her like advised, when a judge is at her rear, she wriggles and won't stay still.  If I put a treat in front of her, she just goes mad for it. She has got a nice stand when she puts her mind to it, but it's getting her to hold it.  I guess it's practice, practice and more practice.

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:12:17 PM »
Don't worry, judges make allowances for pups of that age. You can't expect them to be perfect and you do not want a robot :005:
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Debs46

• Willow 15/04/13
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:37:19 AM »
I think I'm worried about looking really silly when it's my turn, and she has one of her naughty puppy days.  I'm sure everybody has those days with their own dogs and it's something I'll have to get used to.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »
What I suggest is try not to go first. Let atleast one other go before you if you can. Then you can watch what they do and what the judge does to give you an idea. Also what I always do even now is watch a couple of classes if I can before I am in. This is just so I can watch what the judge is asking people to do. They mostly stick to the same routine, so if they stack on the left of ring, move once, table and then triangle and up and down then it is likely they will do this each class and will prepare you for what is expected. Always listen well to the judge though as they will tell you what to do. On the subject of treats I always have some in my pocket. Fairly uninteresting treats and nothing to smelly or big as I wouldn't want to distract other dogs. I give one after the first movement in general and another one or two if I want his attention and I think his mind has left the building.  :shades: :005: Don't make to much of it and I don't stuff them in like they're going out of fashion.  ;) Just one treat to say good lad that was good. Good luck at your first show and most importantly just enjoy it!!  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »
The main thing is to try and enjoy it. I have just started showing again after a few years break so it's a learning curve again. Jay J's first show was an experience. He was so excited that he went around the ring on two legs :005: it was outside as well so that didn't help.
He was better at his second one as it was indoors. But it will take time when they are young to understand what they are supposed to do.
I love the fact that I can chat with other cocker people and I have always found them to be really helpful and friendly.
Have a good time and enjoy. Good luck  ;)
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Debs46

• Willow 15/04/13
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »
Hi,  Update on my first shows..... Willow's first show was a Champ show so she wasn't placed which wasn't a surprise really.  However, her second show was an open.  She was in 3 classes and she was placed in all three. 5th then 4th and then 3rd.  I was so proud of her, especially with the 3rd place.  She had a great attitude as well.  Fell asleep on top of the grooming table, not in the least bit bothered by anything. 
Thanks for your advice.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 01:24:24 PM »
Hi,  Update on my first shows..... Willow's first show was a Champ show so she wasn't placed which wasn't a surprise really.  However, her second show was an open.  She was in 3 classes and she was placed in all three. 5th then 4th and then 3rd.  I was so proud of her, especially with the 3rd place.  She had a great attitude as well.  Fell asleep on top of the grooming table, not in the least bit bothered by anything. 
Thanks for your advice.

Well done, that's not a bad start at all.  Don't be worried about the champ shows as there are a lot of nice dogs that go unplaced due to the numbers entered, especially some of the recent shows.  Sadly there are only 5 places in each class on offer  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
Well Done a great start. Glad you both enjoyed it.  :clapping: Just always remember the good old saying, win or loose you always take the best dog home with you. ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline louisedi

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
Well done, I'm sure you will be bitean by the show buck know, & be booking your nxt shows fast, gd luck, regards Louisdi