Author Topic: Insurance ?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline jobel

• Site Member
Insurance ?
« on: October 28, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
Can anyone help me please.   

Kiera's insurance renewal is due November 15th.   She has just been diagnosed (as at August 2013) with a life long condition i.e, she is loosing control of her bladder.  I have had to increase her Propalin Syrup to three times a day within the last week or so.   As a result I have had to inform insurers (Animal Friends) but am told Kiera only has a time limited policy and is only covered for 365 days.  I have a £99.00 excess.   I'm gob smacked.

I had assumed that I had a life long policy as this is what I have always had in place for Kiera.  Why would anyone want a time limited policy !     

I am told that there are no insurers' out there who will cover a life long condition.

Can anyone tell me please if there are any insurance companies who do cover life long conditions that have already been diagnosed ? 

Also - is there anyone who can advise if their cocker suffers this condition and how this is managed.  Kiera's syrup has just been increased to three times a day in the space of a month.     Ive heard feeding raw diet may help.  She has Hills Science Plan Natures Best dry food.

Thank you for your help

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Insurance ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »
There is no insurance company that will cover a pre-existing condition.  There are insurance companies that offer life-long policies as I have one for Henry from John Lewis.  Pet Plan also offer life-long policies.

You have my sympathy as it can be expensive when a pet has such an illness.  I'm hoping that John Lewis don't increase Henry's insurance excessively.  It has only increased by about nine pounds per month to about thirty-three pounds per month when his medication alone for epilepsy is sixty pounds per month.

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: Insurance ?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
Sorry to hear of Keira's diagnosis.

Have you checked all of your policy documentation, to see if there's any way that they could have misled you (ie. to expect a lifelong cover)? Unfortunately it will probably say in the small print that it's limited for a year.

No insurer will cover for a pre-existing condition, as far as I'm aware. I'm in the same boat with my dog Henry as I had to change insurer when Axa put my premiums up by 610%! Hopefully he won't need an operation on a congenital cataract, because now we have to pay for it.