Author Topic: Claiming for Autoimmune diseases  (Read 1926 times)

Offline helshaw

• Site Member
Claiming for Autoimmune diseases
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »
Has anybody got a dog with 2 autoimmune diseases and if so did your insurance company class it has 2. Buster has got IMHA & now Addisons disease which my vet has said that they are not connected but worried that insurance will class them as one as only have £2000 per condition per year. Buster's insurance renewal was only in October & if they class it as one I am already at £2000. His first for Addisons has just gone in & they seem to be wanting lots of information from my vets and also Cambridge vet school who actually diagnosed Addisons but know I didn't have the same problem back in Feb when he was diagnosed with IMHA. My vet said she would argue the case for me if they do class it as one but just wondered if anyone else had this problem.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Claiming for Autoimmune diseases
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »
No experience but as your vet is stating that they're not related hopefully the insurance company won't quibble.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 04:06:58 PM »
I have no idea but wish you well with your claim  :luv:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:42:20 AM »
The skin problems my spaniel had were always claimed for separately to the hypothyroidism, even though the skin issues are caused/aggravated by the hypothyroidism and both are autoimmune related. So if there was a limit, I think they would class it as two in his case as they have always charged two excesses too. 
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk