Author Topic: Another insurance query  (Read 2237 times)

Offline mitches

Another insurance query
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
Hi sorry if this is a silly question, once you choose an insurance company to insure your dog do you stick with the same company for the rest of the dogs life?
Elaine

Offline siam

• Site Member
Re: Another insurance query
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
No! I was insured with Tesco's originally until I discovered I didn't have lifetime cover and then I changed to John Lewis. I think quite a few people shop around when they get the renewal premium and find it's unreasonably high.

Offline JohnK

• Donator
  • Produced for Minnie, Dennis and Rosie
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
Once you have made a claim, you need to stick where you are

Offline mitches

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
Ok, thanks

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
The problem with changing from one insurance company to another is that the new company will not cover any pre-existing conditions.

So, using my older Cocker William as an example - William was diagnosed with lumbosacral disc damage 4 years ago and has a lifelong eye condition called Dry Eye. Diagnosis of the disc problem involved a MRI scan that cost over £1,000. He hasn't yet needed surgery (and I really hope never will) but has acupuncture every 8 weeks costing £40 per session and has had other therapies in the past too. Dry Eye requires daily eye ointment and 6 monthly check ups, average cost per year £200. I can claim all of those with my current insurers because William has lifetime cover.

But if I were to change insurers he wouldn't be covered for any of the above or any future treatments relating to those conditions.

My younger Cocker is with the same insurers and I've never made a claim from them for him, so I could change if I wanted to. But the new insurer would want me to declare any illnesses he's had, and would probably check with my vet. He had conjunctivitis once and his anal glands emptied once or twice. Some insurers would accept those as minor and not consider them to be pre-existing conditions, but some would even exclude minor conditions and illnesses such as those.

So my advice would be to choose very carefully and make sure the policy you choose is a lifetime one and not one that pays up to a set amount for each condition and then stops paying.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 12:57:07 AM »
Once you have made a claim, you need to stick where you are

I claimed with Tesco's but it didn't stop me from changing insurers. As Elaine has said you can change but the new insurers won't cover any pre-existing conditions. As we didn't have lifetime cover with Tesco's and they'd paid the maximum for Alfie's pollen allergy treatment, we didn't have anything to lose by changing insurers.

Offline mitches

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 05:15:12 PM »
Thanks for all the advice :)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »
Also be aware that although you may think you're buying "lifetime cover" there is in fact no such thing...

While you will be covered for existing conditions if you continue to insure with a company there is nothing to stop them putting up the premiums to push you out, and in their terms and conditions (so legally) they don't have any obligation to cover you for life as they can change their T&Cs at will. Hopefully most insurers are decent, but my experience with Axa (who put my premiums up from £27 per month to £190 per month) has shown me that this is not always the case, and more research into the market since this has happened has made me very skeptical and annoyed that anyone's allowed to use the term "lifetime" cover at all. Just beware...