Author Topic: Does anyone not insure, but put money aside instead? How has that worked out?  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Lucianne

:o :o at £795!

It's such a gamble, especially with an older dog.  :'(

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
I've just found out regarding Petplan that (a) you can negotiate with them a big premium hike if you jib at it, e.g., from £28 to £22 per month, and (b) you qualify for a 10% discount if you are a volunteer at one of their accredited rescues (which I am).  Worth bearing in mind.

Offline PennyB

Problem is, Nicola, most people with multiple or older pets can't realistically afford insurance, especially if they're greyhounds or rescues with an ongoing condition.

I have all of those except the greyhounds - multiple dogs, older dog, rescue and chronic illness - and it is very expensive but I factor it into the essential 'running costs' of having the dogs same as food and everything else. Insurance/vet costs are a major factor in the number of dogs I can own at any one time - I would love to have another couple of dogs but at the moment I couldn't easily afford to pay 2 more sets of high insurance costs every month as well as everything else. Definitely each to their own though, a lot of people either have enough contingency money in place or they are ok with taking the risk but I'm not in either of those camps - I have savings but not enough to cover 3+ dogs for life and unfortunately definitely not instantly replaceable - if only :lol2: I am however considering decreasing Tilly's level of cover based on her existing conditions because if anything else major happens to her I am not going to put her through extensive treatment or major surgery, but I will still keep some level of cover for routine treatment, 3rd party and accidents - she had to have a thorn removed from her eye earlier this year which was nearly £500. My dogs are terrible though, between Tills' catalogue of illnesses plus her and Caoimhe with their eyes this year and Ro who is a magnet for sodding grass seeds they are pretty much single handedly keeping my vet's kids in college, they should have a statue in the car park >:( :lol2:

I'm the same and thank goodness I am as Wilf has just cost me (or should I say the insurance company) at least £3000 fo rhis current IMTP. My cat Ed cost roughly the same a few years ago when he had what may have been a tiny lump but it was a death sentence as it was fibrosarcoma - the vet referral practice did a brilliant job + at the same time Roobs had her eyes removed due to glaucoma so I would've been hard pushed to pay them all.

My options were limited if I'd not had the insurance and both may now be dead otherwise

I have 5 cats (2 elderly now) and 5 dogs (3 in the older bracket now)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Emilyoliver

My 3 dogs cost a fortune in insurance, but I'm not willing to take the risk not having the cover as have had two dogs need treatment/diagnostics that cost thousands.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie