Author Topic: John Lewis or Pet Plan  (Read 2575 times)

Offline siam

• Site Member
John Lewis or Pet Plan
« on: March 01, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »
I initially insured Alfie with Tesco and made a big mistake as I didn't realise he didn't have lifetime cover, so as he has skin allergies that is now exempt from any insurance cover and proving very costly. Last year I changed to John Lewis at £14 per month. His insurance is now due for renewal which has gone up to £23 despite having made no claims over the past year. I'm pretty sure that this is a more realistic premium for him and the £14 was a tempter to persuade us to go with them. I had been thinking of reverting to Pet Plan who I was with with my previous cocker and were great when our last boy had a lot of health issues and it was reassuring to know that we had the go ahead to let him have every available treatment without worry about costs. However, I have a trial run of Which at the moment and Pet Plan rate well below John Lewis in their ratings so am now not sure whether to change over to Pet Plan or not now. The monthly premiums are similar. I wondered about other people's view?experiences with either insurer?

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: John Lewis or Pet Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »
I'm with PetPlan and have to say they have been excellent. I've claimed for chronic ear infections, skin problems, pancreatitis and a few other small things, and they've questioned nothing. All paid out with no problem. They even paid out for getting some teeth removed when she was younger, which I've been told is rather rare for insurers.

Unfortunately, it is expensive :-\. Brodie is coming up for six and it's £42 a month for her. Apparently once she reaches a certain age I will also have to pay a percentage of each claim. I do worry how much I will be paying as she ages!

But all in all I am very pleased I went with them, it takes a lot of stress out of things not having to deal with worrying if they will pay out.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline katie94

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »
I can't recommend John Lewis highly enough, we have both dogs insured with them. They have just paid directly to our vets a bill for removal of a lump on Rufus. Paid it very quickly and without fuss.

Can't comment on Pet Plan as have never dealt with them bur I've heard they are also very good.

Offline Walshies

• Fudge - our lovely chocolate boy
    • Masarnen Ramblers
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 01:37:58 PM »
We are with John Lewis - no problems with them - yet!
Check out our website at www.masarnenramblers.com

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 06:01:21 PM »
I've been with Petplan for around 12 years for previous and current cats.  I thought their premium too high when I needed to insure Pearl.  She came home with the introductory 4 week puppy insurance from the Kennel club which was half the premium and has only gone up marginally since.  They are pretty good but do need full medical notes and check everything to the n'th degree (didn't pay out for a routine blood test for Pearls recent operation) but I would rather have that than blanket payouts forcing premiums up!

Petplan had been brilliant over the years - they, like most pay direct to the Vet.  They don't quibble and pay quickly.

When I took in the rescue cat I asked the Vets who they deemed the best - they didn't give a direct reply but mention Petplan and John Lewis positively (LV was "marked down" as they take forever to pay out  ;) )

Jayne