Author Topic: Best insurance  (Read 2330 times)

Offline markpt

Best insurance
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
Just looking to insure our new cocker pup Nero- does anyone have any recommendations? Whilst price is one factor I'm ranking quite highly their ability to pay out quickly should anything go wrong with him, so personal experiences appreciated!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Best insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 04:55:16 PM »
Have you looked at the different types of policy?

Some will offer a maximum amount that they will pay out in a year for all claims made during that year.

Some will offer a maximum amount per condition per year. That can be useful if you're unlucky enough to have to make claims for more than one condition/illness/accident during the course of a year.

Some will only pay for a condition during the year it's first diagnosed, or may specify a maximum amount for that condition during the lifetime of the dog. That needs careful consideration in case you find yourself with a dog with a lifelong condition such as Dry Eye, Hip Dysplacia, Diabetes to name just three.

For me the  most important thing has been lifetime cover. My insurance covers every condition for the whole lifetime of the dog, with no upper age limit.

I've never had to make a claim for 4 year old Louis so far, but William is almost 10 and I've been claiming around £200 per year for several years for Dry Eye ointment and 6 monthly eye checks. I also claimed almost £2,000 for a MRI scan of his back and physiotherapy and other odds and ends 5 years ago when he was diagnosed with lumbosacral disc disease. Luckily he didn't need surgery and his only claims for that particular condition at the moment are for acupuncture, approx. £240 per year. If he needs surgery on his back in the future he will be covered but I suspect that the £4,000 per year per condition that he's covered for wouldn't cover major surgery and I'd have to make up the shortfall. When I started his insurance when he was a pup £4,000 per year per condition sounded very good, and for most things it is, but with the way vet fees have gone up since Will was a puppy it would probably fall short for major illnesses now.

So whatever you decide, read the small print very carefully and personally I'd recommend lifetime cover and the highest level of cover that you feel you can afford.

I'm with NFU and very pleased with them, but I think nowadays they only insure pets where the owner has other insurance policies with them like house, contents or car.

Offline dawn

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »
I think petplan is normally considered one of the better ones.

They pay direct to the vets, so you are never out of pocket should Nero need any treatment.

You should also get a policy with life cover, and not just for a year. The life cover will cover all conditions upto a set amount, say £12,000 per year, for the life of the animal. The yearly ones only cover for a year, if that makes sense!

Offline markpt

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »
Thanks for the pointers will look into this!

Offline ShazzaC

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:39:08 PM »
I would only ever go for life cover, for reasons the others have stated above. When I was looking into which was best last year, I came across negative reviews for pretty much all of the companies! So I stuck with the kennel club and followed up after the free 4 wk trial. Haven't claimed yet, so can't comment on their efficiency. Whichever you choose, it certainly isn't cheap, but then neither are unexpected vets bills  :-\