Author Topic: Insurance - Ears Not Covered  (Read 1985 times)

Offline carolinejay

• Site Member
Insurance - Ears Not Covered
« on: June 20, 2005, 01:22:52 PM »
Hi  :(

Just wondered if anyone else experienced my problem.  We bought Coco ( a chocolate cocker spaniel ) at the age of 7 months . Since then he has suffered with Pseudamonis in his ears  ( he is now 2 and a half years old ) .

As soon as we bought Coco we signed up for insurance with Scottish pets :ph34r:  ( for about £37  per month ) . We chose this insurance as it stated there was no limits on treatment costs .After countless visits to the vet and about 30 different pills and ear drops we asked for a second opinion . Coco has in teh last 2 months had 2 ear flushes , more tablets and potions etc etc . The first time we have claimed and we got refused . Our vets bill was about £1,200 for the two flushes etc . :o  :o

The insurance company said we were not covered as the two Latin words in the contract means '' inherent problems ' and therefore a cocker spaniels inherent problems are their ears .

We were not told this in plain english otherwise I would never have taken out the policy with them.................... :huh:  :blink:  :huh:  :blink:

Now we have been told by our vet that the problem has come back in Coco's ears and it could be a yeast prblem and we will have to bath him every third day in a special shampoo ( £30 ) , feed him special food Hills ( £45 ) again not covered under the pet insurance . :(  
I don't care about the money we spend out on Coco my grievence is getting taken for a ride by insurance companies
Carol & Coco

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:54:45 PM »
I would challenge the fact that a cocker spaniels "inherent problems" are its ears - what other breeds carry exclusions like this - back problems in long bodied dogs? <_<  

It would be worth finding out whether the company have a "list" of these excluded problems - if not, ask for their evidence that cocker spaniels ears are "inherent problems" (or whatever the latin phrase is :unsure: ) - if they haven't specifically identified it and don't have any evidence, then you would probably have a good case to challenge it  <_<

I hope Coco's problems are sorted soon  :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

scoobie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 06:46:56 PM »
Hi Carol and Welcome to col :D
Sorry to hear about cocos ear problems my cocker scoobie has had a history of ear problems and the insurance company paid out for his treatments including the op... Im with petplan and I don't pay anywhere near the amount you do each month I think its about half that need to check
Carol have you tried using thornit in cocos ears? if you do a search on here you will find it
Good luck I truly sympathise with you and coco hope you get things sorted

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 07:11:43 PM »
While most will not provide cover for food, my insurance company has paid up for everything else to do with Wilf's ears.

Like others say try thornitts. Also, try putting raw unpasteurised apple cider vinegar in food or water as this can also help.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!