Author Topic: Insurance - any recommendations?  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Sarahingarforth

Insurance - any recommendations?
« on: June 17, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »
Hi all

I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for which pet insurance provider to go with? We got four weeks free insurance (Kennel Club) when we bought Poppy but this runs out at the weekend.

We've been on comparison sites but there seem to be so many different types and levels - I'm confused!

Thanks in advance.

S

Offline Gem01

• Jake
Re: Insurance - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »
We're with sainsburys. We have totalled a canny bill at the moment so very glad we have it!
Gemma & Jake

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:49:09 AM »
Whoever you choose to go with I'd recommend you take a policy that provides lifetime cover. If you have it and your dog develops a lifelong condition you know that medication, vet checks, surgery etc. are going to be covered for the whole of the life of the dog. Lots of policies will only cover for the first year of a condition, or up to a certain monetary limit, then they pull the plug and you're on your own, perhaps facing on going costs of hundreds of pounds every year.

I'd also recommend going for the highest level of cover you can afford and make sure that your insurer covers older dogs and won't stop providing cover when your dog reaches 8 or so years old. You need to try and get it right first time, because once you've made a claim it can be difficult to change insurers as they won't cover pre-existing conditions.

Offline Sarahingarforth

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
Thanks both that's really helpful. I think I'd rather pay more knowing that we won't suddenly get stung further down the line!

Offline Bevjparkes

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »
We insured Murphy last June with More Than when his 4 weeks free insurance ran out.  We took their top lifetime cover policy and paid £23 per month. At renewal last week, they have only increased the premium by 38p a month - admittedly we haven't claimed, but that doesn't seem to stop some of the other companies if the stories on COL are anything to go by!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
I'm with PetPlan, which is expensive, but they are brilliant. I've claimed quite a bit over the last few years with chronic ear/skin infections and pancreatitis, and they've always paid out no questions asked. They even paid out for her to get some teeth removed at a year old, something most other insurers seem not to do.

However, as well as paying the monthly bill, apparently once your dog reaches a certain age you will have to pay out a percentage of every claim - I've yet to contact them and confirm whether this applies to us. It seems to be something a few insurers do, so keep an eye out - I wasn't aware of it (and I can't see anything in the small print) until someone mentioned it on here.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »
We're with sainsburys. We have totalled a canny bill at the moment so very glad we have it!

Sainsburys were brilliant with out last dog, a cavalier that had heart problems later in life. They paid out £7000 with no problems at all.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »
However, as well as paying the monthly bill, apparently once your dog reaches a certain age you will have to pay out a percentage of every claim - I've yet to contact them and confirm whether this applies to us. It seems to be something a few insurers do, so keep an eye out - I wasn't aware of it (and I can't see anything in the small print) until someone mentioned it on here.

I'm expecting that to happen on my renewal in August for William now that he's 10. I'm with NFU and they've been excellent, but I think they no longer take on new customers unless they have other insurances with them too. Shame, because they consistently get 5* ratings.

At the moment I have to pay £75 excess for any claims I make for William and £50 for Louis. Touching wood, I've never yet had to make a claim for Louis, who's 5 now, and this year I haven't had to pay any excess for William because the claims I've made have been for his on going Dry Eye check ups and Optimmune ointment and acupuncture to help with his back problem.

My friend's 12 year old Golden Retriever is insured with NFU and her premiums are now £90 per month, with a high excess and also 10% of any bills. But as she's been claiming for weekly hydrotherapy, arthritis medication and monthly acupuncture for the last couple of years she's claiming more than she pays. Apparently Goldens are one of the more expensive breeds to insure.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »
gemma is with Pets at home. £9000 lifetime cover @£20 per month.
  My staffy (12) was with tesco but this year they want about £45 per month for £2000 cover.  I looked around and saw most companys want a excess + % of total cost because of her age.
 I swapped to More than. They charge me £29 per month for £3000 cover at an excess of only  £150 but no % to add on
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Sarahingarforth

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »
Thanks. I was about confused about the excess as a few quotes mention 'plus a 10% voluntary excess'. Does this mean you can choose whether you pay it?!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »
Thanks. I was about confused about the excess as a few quotes mention 'plus a 10% voluntary excess'. Does this mean you can choose whether you pay it?!

yes.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Rob B

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
After spending hours looking online, we continued the Kennel Club policy after the free four weeks.  Although it is expensive it looked the best policy and assumed that the Kennel Club wouldn't want to have a reputation of having a bad policy.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 09:08:22 AM »
We carried on with PetPlan after the initial free period.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Carolanne

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »
We went for more than premier which seemed better than petplan yet a couple of pounds cheaper.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 06:10:31 PM »
More Than for Roxy - she's 4 now and the latest renewal has come in at £30 a month but when I looked on GoCompare I can get better cover with the same insurer for about £230 a year - go figure? I will be calling MoreThan to discuss....
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.