Author Topic: Show lead?  (Read 5844 times)

Offline pancake

Show lead?
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »
Can I ask what type of show lead & what colour you would use on a black cocker bitch?

Offline katie94

Re: Show lead?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:32:50 PM »
I use a thin black rolled leather lead that is has a half check collar attached to it, it's 'all in one' so there's no clip between the lead and collar iyswim? I tried a webbing one that is popular in show circles but couldn't get on with it. I would use a black lead on your black cocker so you don't break her outline up when showing.

Offline pancake

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »

Offline katie94

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:26:56 PM »
Hi yes, they're very like mine but I have a little bit of bling on mine! If you search for show leads on this forum it will bring up lots of threads about them and the different ones others on here use.

Offline katie94

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »
Haha, just looked at the link properly and that's the company I bought mine from!

Offline pancake

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »
I bought a normal leather lead from them about 5/6 years ago & its my fav lead of all time! lovely & soft

I was thinking of having some plain diamante crystals on the collar part but didn't know if that was the done thing!

Offline katie94

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »
I have 2 blue diamonte chrystals on the lead towards the bottom near the collar connector. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it. I got mine from their stall at crufts this year and it's starting to soften up nicely now.

Offline pancake

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:26:36 PM »
aah perhaps they meant the collar part then, I suppose if they were lined up along the collar it would stand out too much,

What sort of width do you use? I see they go from 3mm thickness

Offline katie94

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »
Just measured mine, it's 5mm thick, 10mm deep if that makes sense?

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 11:18:28 PM »
What you really want is a 'cocker loop' show lead with a big enough loop so that it can be enlarged enough to slip over the dogs withers in stack. I would also go for a corresponding colour to the dogs coat colour so as not to break up the outline. :D

I have leather ones now, but have had these and they are very well made by a cocker exhibitor. These are the type of lead you want really anyway. :)

http://selwoc.shenjela.com/show%20leads.htm
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline katie94

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »
What you really want is a 'cocker loop' show lead with a big enough loop so that it can be enlarged enough to slip over the dogs withers in stack. I would also go for a corresponding colour to the dogs coat colour so as not to break up the outline. :D

I have leather ones now, but have had these and they are very well made by a cocker exhibitor. These are the type of lead you want really anyway. :)

http://selwoc.shenjela.com/show%20leads.htm

That's the type of lead I tried at first but couldn't get on with. My boy can be a bit of a clown in the ring so I prefer to use a lead I'm comfortable with. However I only show very lightly at open level but when I get my next puppy I intend (hopefully) to show at champ level so will hopefully try with a proper cocker loop.

Offline pancake

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »
I have just ordered one of those loops as Poppy is only 11 weeks old at the moment & it means I can adjust it, I like the idea of a leather one though so will get one once fully grown thank you to both of you  ;)

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »
There are no rules as to what lead you use, however you will find that most use the cocker loop types. When presenting your dog to the judge they are easy and quick to slip over the dogs withers & rest on their back and then equally as quick and easy to slip back up around the neck again. :)

Offline pancake

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »
The lead arrived this morning & for the money its very nice

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »
The lead arrived this morning & for the money its very nice

Glad you are happy!  :D