Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 3044 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Insurance
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »
Does anyone have experience of Animal Friends pet insurance, good or bad.  Jazz is currently insured with More Than and his renewal has just arrived and the cost has gone up by £12 per month.  I made a claim a few months ago towards the cost of having his tear duct flushed and a wart removed.  This is the first time I have ever claimed and he has been insured with More Than for the last five years.  I only received a 50% contribution to the total cost, which was around £300.  I fully expected the premiums to increase as Jazz is now 9 but I am now searching for a cheaper option with a reputable company.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »
One of the Mods will probably move this to Insurance child board for you where you'll probably get more answers.

In the meantime, we have both Milly and Chaz insured with Animal friends and have just renewed Chaz's insurance for a further year. Milly's insurance hasn't altered this year and was renewed earlier in the year for just under £200. Chaz's has increased slightly and is now £207 per year.
Both for lifetime cover of £7k per year.
We've made one claim of just under £1k over the years and it was dealt with promptly and for the full amount claimed. We've always found them friendly to deal with and have had no problems with them at all.

Bob.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »
I just posted this on the insurance board.  It is the results of a customer satisfaction survey:

http://www.pet-insurance-surveys.co.uk/pet-insurance-companies/company-review-list/

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
When I first got Archie my vet asked if he was insured. He was, but the vet said something along the lines of "we can't recommend insurers but we have had problem with Animal Friends so we would suggest not using them." As I was already insured I never questioned him further but I thought it was an odd thing to say at the time. No idea what the problem was.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »
When I first got Archie my vet asked if he was insured. He was, but the vet said something along the lines of "we can't recommend insurers but we have had problem with Animal Friends so we would suggest not using them." As I was already insured I never questioned him further but I thought it was an odd thing to say at the time. No idea what the problem was.

When discussing insurance, my vet said something similar and the same about Animal Friends too.

After a year with Direct Line, the premiums almost doubled because of Millie's age and ogoing conditions. Again, Discussion with the vet made me decide to put the premiums into a special bank account instead. Economically it proved the right move and paid outright for the op she had in August.
Though I recognise that this might not be right for owners of other dogs...

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 10:59:48 PM »
Thanks a lot for all your replies, somewhat conflicting though they are.  I had never heard of Animal Friends before which was why I added the post.  I remember when I had Jazz my OH said why don't you just put that amount of money into a separate account each month and if there is a problem the money will be there.  I didn't do this of course, and if I had done I would now be quids in because although he is nine now I have only ever made one insurance claim, which was for a fairly trifling amount in the scheme of things.  Hey ho. 

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »
I actually do both. Archie has his own account (it was previous cockers before that, but Archie has his picture in his bank card!  :005:) I use it for any small ish bills that either don't cover the excess or or not hugely over it. It also means I don't feel compelled to make a claim which might push up the premium. I have insurance just in case there is a massive bill or ongoing problem running into the thousands.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:53:36 PM »
 :luv:

Yes Emma that's a really good idea, if I can just discipline myself to do it.  Like you I haven't claimed for previous treatment, event when a few visits for the same issue have added up to £100 +.  My vet was amazed when I took the claim form in and told her it was the first time I had ever made a claim for Jazz, now 9 years old.  Fortunately he has been a healthy boy and I've not had an massive bills.  (Don't want to tempt fate).   

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 10:35:55 PM »
moneysaving expert weeky email ( out today)(same info on their web site) has a article on pet insurance
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 09:05:50 AM »
Thanks Gemma, I will take look.