Author Topic: New Cocker Owner Needing Some Help!  (Read 1266 times)

Acorah

New Cocker Owner Needing Some Help!
« on: July 05, 2005, 08:33:04 PM »
How do I get into showing, how old do I need to be and how old does the dog in question need to be?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 10:24:36 PM »
Once your pup has finished his vaccination program, you can take him to a ringcraft class. These classes basically teach you how to handle the dog and how to present the dog for the show ring.  If you contact the kennel club, they will give you contact details of classes near you.

The puppy has to be 6 months before it can be shown but I don't think there is a minimum age for handlers ie you ;)  There si the option for junior handling depending on how old you are - again, the KC website should have all the details you need.

KC website
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Acorah

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 11:48:25 AM »
Ta for that, the website wasnt that helpful. Im taking Acorah for id chipping and vacs on monday so I'll speak to the vet  :D

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 12:23:49 PM »
Vets often don't know much if anything about showing - so don't build your hopes up for getting lots of help for this matter.

You need to find a local ringcraft class in your area. Did your cocker's breeder show? if so then they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Acorah

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »
She was just purely a breeder, but this grandparents before him were entered into shows and won quite a lot of them. I may have to ring the Kennel Club then and ask them if they know of any. any ideas on the costs?

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 12:52:19 PM »
My Ringcraft club isn't very expensive a small anual membership fee and then a couple of £ a week.
In all honesty you really need to seek the opinion of someone who is successful showing the breed in your area, they should also be able to point you in the direction of a ringcraft club.
Wether Grandparents were successful doesn't always mean that progeny will be. There are so many things that can go wrong eg, incorrect bite or undescended testicles so lot's to think about.
I don't thinka vet will be able to tell you if your puppy is show quality  ;)

Acorah

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 12:59:01 PM »
The breeder I got Acorah from wants to keep in touch with him so I will ask her about it, although she doesnt show, Im sure she knows someone that does cos she does a lot of breeing with various other dogs belonging to other people.