Author Topic: Sable........ not recognised by KC  (Read 7345 times)

Offline Kevin Patterson

• Donator
Sable........ not recognised by KC
« on: June 26, 2015, 04:27:30 PM »
Hi Guys, I am considering showing my boy Barney however with him being sable in pattern will this be a disadvantage  for him?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Sable........ not recognised by KC
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:29:56 PM »
Hi Guys, I am considering showing my boy Barney however with him being sable in pattern will this be a disadvantage  for him?

I'm guessing that if it is not a colour recognised by the KC you may have problems with the more important shows, I would think the judges have criteria to adhere to.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Kevin Patterson

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 10:38:16 PM »
Cheers Mudmagnets, do you think it be frowned upon showing him in minor shows. He has done some ring craft in a local club however it is a club for Boxers, he does look good but that is just me being a proud dad lol

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 10:09:15 AM »
Cheers Mudmagnets, do you think it be frowned upon showing him in minor shows. He has done some ring craft in a local club however it is a club for Boxers, he does look good but that is just me being a proud dad lol

I'm not really sure tbh, I don't show my dogs and was really going by what has been posted previously on the subject. You could enter Barney in Fun and probably the companion shows, but you are most likely looking for more for your boy?

Hopefully a more knowledgeable COL'r with showing experience will be able to answer the questions more fully.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Kevin Patterson

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:49:57 AM »
I have had a good search around the site myself and seen various sables being placed in shows however they pre date 2010. I have Emailed the Cocker Club to try and get a definitive answer thanks for you help

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
We used to show our chocolate roan and tan girl - some judges totally passed her over and hardly looked at her.  Some said they didn't know if her eyes were the right colour (they were!!)  However, one lovely judge gave her a first because he said she was a perfect specimen!  As long as you remember that you always take the best dog home with you, give it a go!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »
This sable did quite well  ;)
If you scroll down, it tells you about Afterlife Encounter by Claramand.

http://www.claramand-cockers.co.uk/connoisseurs_corner.php

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
Elaine's dog linked to above was shown quite successfully but this was before the KC breed standard was amended a few years ago. Since the breed standard was changed to exclude sable from the list of accepted colours, it is now in practice difficult to show any sable, no matter what their quality is. KC judges have to judge according to the breed standard and any colour not listed as acceptable is to be considered as "undesirable". Breeders selling sable puppies ought to be explaining to their puppy buyers that showing at higher levels is now pretty much impossible for sables but it seems some breeders still aren't aware of this ph34r You could still have some fun with your dog at companion/fun dog shows (more informal shows usually held to raise funds for various charities) but that would be it really, sorry
Jane

Offline hettie.barker

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 10:32:47 AM »
Hi - I do have sables and really love their colour and I do show them at local fun dog shows and it's just a lovely day out for them meeting lots of doggy friends and their owners, but they could never be entered for championship shows due to their the colour not being recognized by the KC and for me that's fine as I am not in to serious showing, but do admire the commitment of owners that do show their dogs on championship level.

Offline Kevin Patterson

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »
Thanks for all the responses that now give me the excuse needed to get another furry baby lol

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »
Thanks for all the responses that now give me the excuse needed to get another furry baby lol

Oh dear, poor you!  :shades: :005: :005: