Author Topic: I may lose Archie.- UPDATE - Trainer been, there is hope!!  (Read 12127 times)

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: I may lose Archie....
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2015, 09:45:05 PM »
Hi how old is Archie i have resource guarding possesive protective issues with my current blue roan cocker . What did smudge die of

Hello Claire, Smudge died of an anaemia related illness, which affected his blood cells, liver and kidneys and also his breathing. Smudge was my dog, but I am not sure if you meant Smudge or Odie who was Geordietyke's and died at roughly the same time. It was a very bad time for all concerned, specially being so close together and both being very young, much loved dogs  :luv:.

Sorry I can't help with the guarding/protective issues, but I am pretty certain you are in the right place to get some guidance/help

Irene
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: I may lose Archie....
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »
Hi Lesley, how is it going, have you heard from either your trainer or Top Barks yet?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: I may lose Archie.- UPDATE trainer been, there is hope!
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 02:59:10 PM »
Hi Irene, I didn't get in touch with Top Barks.  I asked for advice last September for similar issues from him and he said he didn't offer advice via the internet any more and he's a bit far away to visit.

Anyway, trainer arrived this morning.  Spent two hours with OH and myself, asking about problems and how I've been dealing with them.  The main issues for the moment was his mega hyper, circling and barking behaviour, which in turn, leads to potential lunging and nipping at kids.  I also said I'd never been able to leave a room without Archie following me so we done a couple of exercises and the little  >:D stayed in the living room whilst I went into the kitchen without following me  ph34r

I'm to practise keeping him in the room so I can go elsewhere, then call him.  Will be really useful to encourage calm behaviour when the phone rings or someone is at the door.

He is doing me a full plan in the next few days but I'm to basically start again with training.  I've already managed to extract him off the sofa and bed with 3 days of practice so there is hope!!

Fingers and paws crossed, lots of hard work ahead but feeling more hopeful  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: I may lose Archie.- UPDATE - Trainer been, there is hope!!
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 03:13:27 PM »
I wouldn't expect ANY good trainer to give advice over the internet.  They need to see the behaviour in question to help.

I'm glad you're feeling more confident and the trainer is giving you methods to cope.  Is the trainer APDT?  If not, what are his qualifications?

It sounds like Archie is one stressed out little dog from your description of his behaviour  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
First steps certainly sounds encouraging, I do hope he can help both Archie and yourself   :luv:

With Archie not following you, do you think he may have been a bit concerned about what was going on? although he may have remembered the trainer from his Good Citizen days (think you said he did GC with him?)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2015, 04:35:34 PM »
No, he's not APDT, he's a Home Office Accredited Dog Trainer, GODT and BIPDT.  He done Archie's KC GC Puppy Course and does the Bronze/Silver and Gold courses.  I could find no recommended APDT trainers in my area and I'd rather go with him than take a chance on an unknown trainer.   He was able to point out to me that if my kids were doing the same sorts of behaviour he was, I wouldn't be tolerating it. 

Much of the time Archie is a fairly relaxed dog, if it were only me in the household, he'd be fine, apart from the problems I'm having re. ringing phones/people at door etc, which would happen regardless who was at home. 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 04:45:24 PM »
Glad to hear there is hope for Archie to stay with his mum.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »
So glad to read your update - do hope everything works out with the trainer.

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2015, 06:28:10 PM »
I don't visit COL as often as I should, sorry for late comments.
Glad to see you have got some help and feel there is hope for Archie. Did he suggest any interim measures whilst the training is taking effect?
One of the many pieces of brilliant advice I have been given was to use a house line this enables you to be in "control" of any potential situation until you have confidence.
I hope your new regime helps you all to live in harmony.

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2015, 07:16:19 PM »
Glad to hear some positive news. Hope the training goes well x

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2015, 09:49:37 PM »
So happy for you that there has been some improvement. Hope with all my heart that it goes from strength to strength.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2015, 10:34:15 PM »
Good news, hope all goes well....
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »
Fingers crossed for you & looking forward to good news.  ;)
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »
Thanks everyone  :luv:

I've been told to use an old lead so I can get him down off the settee but he's not been up on it since I told him he wasn't allowed there 4 days ago!  Same with our bed (he sleeps in our room), he's not attempted to get on our bed since I banned him.  His general hyper behaviour has lessened too already, I am making him stay in the living room till he is calm then allowing him to follow me, instead of him automatically assuming he can be glued to my side.  This will help to control him when the phone/door goes.

I admit I have been too soft in letting him be with us when we eat dinner, so he's made to stay in another room, he usually goes wild if I've done this in the past, however last night, he only whined a little then was quiet....

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »
Thanks everyone  :luv:

I've been told to use an old lead so I can get him down off the settee but he's not been up on it since I told him he wasn't allowed there 4 days ago!  Same with our bed (he sleeps in our room), he's not attempted to get on our bed since I banned him.  His general hyper behaviour has lessened too already, I am making him stay in the living room till he is calm then allowing him to follow me, instead of him automatically assuming he can be glued to my side.  This will help to control him when the phone/door goes.

I admit I have been too soft in letting him be with us when we eat dinner, so he's made to stay in another room, he usually goes wild if I've done this in the past, however last night, he only whined a little then was quiet....

It is all sounding positive - but just a friendly word of caution if I may, try not to go over the top with the 'tough love' or he may begin to resent it   :luv: