Author Topic: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options  (Read 27706 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Archie bitten daughter again - out of options
« on: September 12, 2015, 09:56:19 PM »
After some initial limited success after the trainer visited, as suggested by our vet, Archie's behaviour has deteriorated badly.  He has gone for daughter 3 times and bitten her once, making it 3 times in total  :'(  The last time was when we were chatting, he was lying on the floor and had been for 15/20 minutes.  All of a sudden, he looked up and within 1 second his face changed and he lunged at her.  No reason, no warning.

He is barking wildly (whilst circling madly) every single time anyone gets up/goes out of a door (this behaviour leads to him lunging at daughter too).  He guards the door and doesn't let her in/out.

Keeping them apart is increasingly difficult and it's affecting the family, the girls don't feel they can walk around the house without being worried about Archie and Archie's demeanour changes when around daughter.  They can't be in the garden together and any noise they make (even giggling) sets him off. 

I've even been giving him some calming supplement powders in the hope it may lower his hyper behaviour but it hasn't made any difference. 

I have devoted so much time to him, from 14+ months of toilet training, to dealing with 9 months of barking whenever I was in the kitchen last year to micro-managing every aspect of our lives from May when he initially bit. 

I've just spoken at length to Di at CAESSR and she wouldn't take him as he's already bitten.  She also said any other rescue wouldn't either and my only option unfortunately is having him PTS  :'( :'(   

My breeder also said she couldn't take him back as he'd already bitten someone.

I'm certain he'd be a different dog if he lived with a firm adult, who know how cockers operated, in a child-free environment....

We are just devastated, especially in light of us losing Odie like we did 2 years ago.  I think this will be the end of my love affair with cockers as I don't think I can go through it all again  :'(   

Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »
so sorry, just do not know what to say
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »
Oh I am so so sorry to read this. What a devastating situation. You have worked so hard and done everything possible but it's obvious that you can't keep on like this. I wish I had some advice or help for re-homing. All I can say is that I am thinking of you and sending loads of love to you all. :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »
Really sorry to read that Archies behaviour is escalating.....we both know of another cocker that did this.  Whilst it's a terrible decision to make, as others have said, you cannot re home him and he cannot continue as he is.

i really do feel for you

Jayne
X

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 10:48:27 PM »
So sorryl!
Is it worth contacting Spaniel Aid?
https://www.facebook.com/spanielaiduk?fref=nf
Hope you find a way forward....

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 10:54:04 PM »
I am so very sorry to hear this.  Sending you a pm now.  :(
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 11:24:43 PM »
So very sorry to read this, I cannot think of anything else I can say, but be assured that I really feel for you at this very sad time.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 07:44:21 AM »
Very sorry to hear this, I had a similar problem with a Jack Russell some years ago. No matter what we did he would turn round and bite for no reason. We found a farm where he was welcome and spent his days running around a barn and seemed to be happy with his new home and life.

I wish you did not have to put in this situation and send you loads of love, I know this seems small with your problems but I hope you may feel some comfort from it.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 07:46:52 AM »
Oh no! Poor you, after all you have gone through. Sending my love and hope you can get this resolved x Wendy
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
Thank you all so much, your kind words do help but I am dreading the thought of going to the vets.....  It brings back painful memories of Odie 2 years ago  :'( :'(
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »
I feel so much for you. All the hard work you have put in with Archie. Sending you lots of  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: we are all here for you.

Offline lescef

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 08:53:50 AM »
I do feel so sorry for you. Bramble guards me and things from our grandson.  We look after him one day a week and she spends alot of the day in her crate. I can't imagine what it must be like to have it 24/7, you must be living on your nerves constantly. It's a dreadful decision to have to make. I hope you can find a farm or somewhere for him. X
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
Oh gosh how awful for you . I can't imagine how hard it must be . You've been so devoted to trying to change Archie's behaviour but like the others have said you can't continue to live like that .
Sending big hugs xxx

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 09:21:01 AM »
What an awful situation, so sorry to hear about this. It's such a heartbreaking decision and one that will
Stay with you for a long time. Thinking of you and the whole family xx

Love from Polly and Monty!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
Lesley I am more sorry than I can say.
Have you contacted Many Tears, they may be able to help?