Author Topic: Bad Breath  (Read 968 times)

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Bad Breath
« on: August 12, 2005, 10:43:50 AM »
Bella has had rather smelly breath for about a week now, I have started changing her food over but that's only been the last couple of days so I don't think it's that.

The only other thing I can think of that is 'unusual' is her teething, although she's been losing her little tiny front teeth for a while, this week her big back teeth have been coming out (have been finding them all over the carpet :rolleyes: ) and she's had blood in her mouth a couple of times.

It seems logical to me that this could be the cause - has anyone else found this? Or, might it be something else that I need to investigate?

She's still showering us in cocker kisses but I've got to admit it is a bit smelly and hubby has started telling her no kisses, bless :wub:

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Bad Breath
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 12:02:01 PM »
Yes, it's probably because of her teething.
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline ali-c

• Site Member
Bad Breath
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 08:07:04 PM »
Hi,
It may be teething, but bad breath /smelly mouth is mostly due to bacteria and the waste products they produce ( I can't imagine that it's any different for dogs than it is for people!)
It may be her lip folds as they can give cockers a very smelly mouth, if you think it's coming form inside the mouth and you can't see anything abnormal then it will probably pass as her remaining teeth fall out.
Is horrible though when they try to Kiss you, Poppy occasionally get smelly lips and leaves smelly licks on my face! gross!!  :o
Alison, lovely Poppy  and Inka (Dalmatian)

Penel

Bad Breath
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 11:01:02 PM »
Yup at that age it'll be teething !  it soon passes ! :D

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Bad Breath
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 11:17:06 PM »
thanks everyone, that's reassuring!

I thought it probably was the teething I just wasn't sure - it smells kind of metaly which is what blood smells of isn't it (hard to describe).