Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 9010 times)

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
Insurance
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
Yet again insurance is due & has gone-up by£99  >:D  but what can you do but pay it  :o
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
Ellie's has gone up 30% ! >:D

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 07:04:04 PM »
Last year we decided to stop insurance on Morgan and the cats as it just didn't seem value for money. Fingers crossed that it doesn't come back and bite me! Every year the premiums went up, the excess went up and the % that I had to pay for any treatment also went up. The money has gone into Nationwide instead. For the moment we've kept Hugo's insurance going as he's still young but that's under review.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »
Bramble's has gone up by £84 so we have decided to cancel it, not sure about what to do with Maddie's in January as she does have anal gland problems,  but we have never claimed on either of them. Such a difficult decision.  >:(
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:42:33 PM »
I was paying for three cats and two dogs. The amount I paid in the year was more than I spent at the vets, so I just bank the money now and self insure. There's definitely a risk that you'll get something expensive comes up but you'll likely have a nice little stash to contribute towards it. Even if I add up wee Rosie's chemo, none of the other animals needed the vet in that time so we were good.

And since they're all on either raw or biologically appropriate food, I find we need the vets less and less.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 09:49:58 AM »
I got a letter from Animal Friends advising increase from 1st June due to tax hike, daresay premiums will go up next......
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
I got a letter from Animal Friends advising increase from 1st June due to tax hike, daresay premiums will go up next......

This is going to be true of all insurance. I'm dreading all my renewals. As a musician car and home insurance is already unbelievably expensive (and VERY difficult to get, so shopping around is not often an option) but the cumulative cost of all (11) of my harps is what really worries me.  >:(

Offline PennyB

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »
Some hike theirs up if you use them (eg, Morethan) but others don't whether you use them or not (petplan) but while mine was a shock when it increased by 60% this year the amount I was paying out on meds and claiming for them was roughtly the same, so it seemed stupid to cancel it.

I made the mistake though of letting one of my cat's insurance policy slip and am just about to finish paying it off after 2 years so with the number of pets I have some I will claim on them and others may not but still the amounts I pay out are far less than I use on vet treatment.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »
Remember that most dog insurances also incorporate insurance against third party claims as well.

In today's litigation mad society I'd not be without a good third party insurance just in case  ;)

Bob.

Offline hoover

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 06:15:51 PM »
Remember that most dog insurances also incorporate insurance against third party claims as well.

In today's litigation mad society I'd not be without a good third party insurance just in case  ;)

Bob.

Very much agree.  I believe Dog's Trust still do 3rd party insurance when you become a member for £25 a year.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 07:21:12 PM »
Yes Dogs Trust don a  third party scheme

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 08:24:39 PM »
Now that my girls are classed as old  :o (over 9) their insurance went up to nearly £100 per month plus 10% of the vets bills.  I looked around for other options but because of their age I was restricted to who would cover them.  I eventually joined Bought By Many and took out insurance with More Than that covers everything that Sainsburys did and costs £63 per month.  It is definitely worth joining Bought by Many as they are able to negotiate extra discounts,
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Macie-Working-Cocker

• Donator
  • (No longer using this forum, too much negativity)
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »
I've got a Working Cocker  and pay £8.50 a month for Gold Insurance with Argos.

Argos Gold Insurance cover is just for a 12 month period.  I would never select this option as if something were to happen during the 12 months you would probably find that the condition is excluded from any other policy.  I have always chosen to have Lifetime cover.  Although more expensive, it does give peace of mind that your pet's condition will be covered for life.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Darwin

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »
I've got a Working Cocker  and pay £8.50 a month for Gold Insurance with Argos.

Not sure if it costs more for show cockers as their more prone to health issues etc?

Bet it jumps up dramatically next year!

Just had look at Argos, and for quoting purposes I said Darwin was in good health( which he isn't)   £64 a month for Gold Level of Cover.  Which for the low level of cover (only  4K) and that it's only for 12 months cover seems expensive .