Author Topic: insurance renewal  (Read 3890 times)

Offline kathryngeorge0

insurance renewal
« on: July 05, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
This year my 10 year old working cocker was diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur, but after scans etc. no medication is necessary, she also had tests for high blood pressure but this turned out to be white coat syndrome all so she could have a fatty lump removed. As you can imagine my insurance premiums have almost tripled to £87.92 per month plus a £250 excess and 20% contribution. I am not worried about the blood pressure or fatty lumps but if she needed medication for the heart murmur would it be a saving or should I put money aside and get a new policy that excludes existing conditions? Any advice welcome! I would obviously spend every last penny on her but my husband was made redundant in April so want the most economic solution!!

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
Re: insurance renewal
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
I've just had an ultra sound and blood test carried out on my Cocker due a heart murmur - total cost approx. £700 and my vet suggested that we do this every six months so that we can establish exactly how the heart is enlarging - i.e. either slow or quick progression.  I'm getting referred to a cardiologist so have yet to see what costs will be involved or whether the advice given will be different. 

My policy currently has a £99 excess and I have to pay 35% of everything - renewal is next March.  My premium for the current year is £55pm - I would still pay it if it doubled next year as I'm sure I will still end up with more peace of mind that way.  Grace has had skin allergies, grass seeds removed from her ears, tummy upsets and now the heart murmur.  If I changed provider they would exclude every part of her body that has ever been worked on - and those exclusions would leave little left that could be covered.  I'm not sure how much the medication is if that is needed, but from what my vet said it's the cost of ultrasound and blood tests that are really expensive and not so much the medication. 

I'm glad that your girl doesn't need medication yet - what advice were you given regarding exercise?