Author Topic: Huge rise in Kennel Club premium - Update, sharp practice, pls read  (Read 9875 times)

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Huge rise in Kennel Club premium
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »
I do understand that vets have lots of overheads to pay for but.....
A not for profit vet has opened about ten miles from us. My hairdresser has a bulldog that needed the operation to help him breathe. Her vet (also ours) had quoted 7k and she was lamenting how she was going to pay for it. The next time I went for an appointment, I asked about him. He had been to the not for profit vet and had it done for £900.
It just raises more questions....

I would be grateful if you could send me the name of the not for profit vet - you may remember my husband family are in your neck of the woods, last week next doors cat( in the Wirral) was run over and the old lady owner paid £200 to have it pts, maybe you could pm me .....would be grateful
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline lescef

Re: Huge rise in Kennel Club premium
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 02:43:20 PM »
Have PM you, I think !
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Huge rise in Kennel Club premium - Update, sharp practice, pls read
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 12:08:26 PM »
Re this subject, I have done some research, and have spoken to the Kennel Club twice.

First time, basically the same spiel about costs of veterinary treatment rising etc etc. Told we could reduce our premium by increasing the excess from £95 to £160, but once changed this cannot be reversed. Also by having a variable excess of either 10% or 20%, this would also reduce the premium.  So if Dylan had an illness claim for say £1,000, we would pay the excess of £95 or £160, PLUS the variable of 10 or 20% of the claim, so £160 + either 10% or 20% of the remaining £860 (equals another £86 or £172).

I also asked about an age when a hike in premium would occur, and was told that at 9 years of age the 20% variable excess would be applied. I said I would go away and think about it.

Phoned up today, to see about removing our cover abroad, (we've no plans to travel at the moment, it can be added back at any time), that makes a difference of about £12.00 a year (!)
By removing the foreign travel and having £160 fixed excess, this would reduce our premium from the new 40% price hike of £31.77 to £25.27. I wasn't interested in the variable excess.
HOWEVER -
I again asked about the 9 years of age application of the variable excess of 20%, this was confirmed, and the operator then said that at 5 years of age a 10% variable excess would be applied. I was not told this in the previous call.

There is absolutely nothing in the policy documents about this, and I was not informed about it when I took the policy out.  The clause they cover themselves with says "If we offer to renew your policy we may change your premium, policy terms, conditions, policy excesses and the monetary amount of cover under any section'.

Now we all know that certain breeds have certain conditions that increase risk, and at different ages, e.g. large breeds have shorter lives etc etc., so the Kennel Club know the risk of each breed and the age at which they are likely to need treatment. So why when you take the policy out are you not informed that these excesses will apply at a particular age for the breed of dog you have?

I think this is underhand and sharp practice. They obviously have a list of set increases for all breeds (after all they only insure dogs), but they do not tell you your premiums will be increased, and cover themselves with a vague clause.

So, in short, my premium has gone up by 40%.
I have increased the fixed excess by £65
When he gets to 5 the variable excess will increase by 10%
When he gets to 9 it will increase by 20%
This is without any further price hikes they may make in the meantime.

I expected better from the Kennel Club. I have protested about these variable excess increases and am awaiting a call back from a manager.  It might be an idea to check your policy to see what it says about this, or make a call to clarify your position.  I have a 14 day cooling off period, I shall again be trawling the net for other insurance. We're pensioners so on a fixed income, had we know all these conditions from the outset we would have thought twice about it. Any comments appreciated.

Lesley and my ticking time bomb Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 12:52:34 PM »
It's a minefield!

I've been with NFU for 14 years, since William was a puppy, adding Louis in when he came along 9 years ago. They've been very good and because they're a Mutual Society you get a mutual bonus every year that effectively helps reduce the annual increase.

My insurance year ends in August and I took the decision to cancel William's insurance this time round, having just claimed ?3,800 for his scans, ultrasound and anal sac removal surgery following diagnosis of early stage anal sac cancer. I only opted to have the surgery done because William is a strong and fit 14 year old and the scans and tests showed no signs of the cancer having spread. He came through it amazingly well. But I've decided not to put him through anything major in the future, so I'm saving around £95 per month as that's what I would have been paying on renewal.

9 year old Louis costs me ?48.74 per month, with a ?55 excess for new claims. NFU don't make you pay part of the cost as well, so I think that's pretty reasonable for a good level of lifetime cover. But I know I will never get that kind of deal again because NFU changed various aspects of their pet insurance a few years ago. As an existing customer I was allowed to keep the same cover as I already had. But if I get another dog in the future I'll be back to square one and have to hunt round for a good deal.

Offline lescef

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 02:16:21 PM »
I'm not sure about this, but think the variable excess  has only been around for a few years. I am aware of it but don't remember it years ago. It is indeed a minefield >:(
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »
I don't remember variable excesses before either, and that pesky clause means they could move the goalposts anytime they like and increase the premiums or the excesses to whatever they want, change the terms of the policy, whatever. Heads they win, tails you lose. Makes a laughing stock of signing an insurance agreement,if it is so one sided.

I looked at other insurance companies, and most of them only cover for abroad for limited periods of two weeks, a month at a time, and we go away for longer than that in our van. The KC covers for 120 day’s in a year, one of the reasons we chose them.

Losing the will to live.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 08:42:21 AM »
I moved from More Than to Direct Line this year, was cheaper by more than half!
With regards to vets fees etc, did anyone watch Rich House Poor House? Out of all the Rich houses, the vets had the most disposable income.  😡
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »
Grace was with Animal Friends until renewal this year when they hiked her premium by 400% - yes, four hundred percent - to a premium of £221.00 per month - in additon to the increase they also added a 20% co-pay as she had turned 8 years old. 

This was the same year she was diagnosed with MVD.

I cancelled the policy!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 01:05:16 PM »
Grace was with Animal Friends until renewal this year when they hiked her premium by 400% - yes, four hundred percent - to a premium of £221.00 per month - in additon to the increase they also added a 20% co-pay as she had turned 8 years old. 

This was the same year she was diagnosed with MVD.

I cancelled the policy!

Fizzin' Ada!!!!!!  :fear2: :fear2:

Have spent the morning trawling the net and reading the small print in the policies - some of them are very sneaky. Still waiting for a call from a Kennel Club manager.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 05:41:53 PM »
It is taking advantage of the vunerable ie us and the love for our pets, if we were less involved as a nation with the love and welfare of our pets they (vets) would be rushing around trying to grab buisiness and the lack of demand would push down prices.

Maybe an ideal topic for one of those shows Gloria Hunnibun and Ange Rippon do
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline PennyB

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »
I've just tried to insure my new cocker with morethan and they quoted £20 more than I pay for my other cocker. I said on phone I hope their bosses are listening to this as am fed up of being ripped off by everyone at the moment (am having same conversations with virgin media and vodafone as they're both rip off merchants but everyone else seems to as well)

Did you know that government are ripping us off too as they keep increasing insurance tax - how can that be fair - shouldn't we be taking insurance out
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!