Author Topic: Incontinence pads  (Read 2616 times)

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Incontinence pads
« on: February 07, 2021, 05:01:44 PM »
Has anyone a recommendation for incontinence pads?  Are the fabric type better or will a disposable nappy for a baby work?
Stevie 13 and a half has started to leak a little whilst she is asleep.
When she is awake, she is still able to tell us when she needs to go out but often it is a little damp underneath where she has been sleeping.
Hope someone can help.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Mari

• Site Member
Re: Incontinence pads
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 05:54:02 PM »
I use one of those waterproof sheets/mattress protectors for baby cribs. It's washable and much easier to throw in the wash than the entire dog bed. Laurië got some meds to help with the incontinence, but she still has the occasional accident at night.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 06:24:20 PM »
This lady used to be on COL - http://www.jacobsden.co.uk/#

She designed the blankets for what you describe. She has a fb page as well.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 06:28:41 PM »
Thank you for that.  I am happy to wash Stevie’s bedding which dries very quickly but she does move around a lot and often falls asleep on the rug and on the floor. She  spins around a lot before settling so we have had to take her raised bed away as she was falling out of it. I was thinking of the pads that she would actually wear so that wherever she falls, the leak would be contained.
I have seen that some people use a disposable nappy with a hole cut out for the tail but I think these terribly wasteful and was thinking more of the fabric ones that you can wash.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 08:35:19 PM »
I was considering doggie diapers too, didn't end up getting any because the meds actually helped, phew! I considered the cloth ones too, or even just pants for bitches in heat that you can put pads in. Never got as far as to test it out so hopefully, someone else can advise you. But I did try a human baby nappy with a hole for the tail, and it kept sliding down every time she walked three steps. Could be just that brand/design/size that didn't work out, but I gave up on it pretty quickly.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 07:00:46 AM »
Thanks Mari,
I forgot to mention that Stevie has dementia and doesn’t always remember where her bed is, thus can sleep on the rug or floor, wherever she chooses.
I had my doubts too about baby nappies.
Hope someone can advise about the fabric pads.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 09:28:30 PM »

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:53:11 PM »
Thank you for that.  Those are the sort of things that I was thinking of.
They are described as pants for bitches in season but I guess they could still be used for little leaks.
Stevie is very good as she will get up when she needs to go but it’s when she is asleep it can be a little damp under her as though she has leaked a little.  As she can fall asleep on the rugs around the house, these aren’t easily washable thus me asking about pads.
I have heard that as the dementia worsens, dogs will just wee anywhere around the house.  We are not at that stage yet, but those pants would certainly help.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 11:16:28 AM »
I wonder whether looking at this might help https://www.nappypantsfordogs.com/
The company is called Glendarcy and I purchased  a belly band for Ollie from here.....I understand exactly what you are going through, there was a slight damp patch just where he sleeps, I also bought two washable pads from e bay to lay under his rugs etc( have over the years got a few blankets etc).

The belly band was for male dog but they have about six different things for girlies, plus if I am honest I think the belly band more girl friendly than boy.

The belly band have used once and would you believe it was dry.....typical cocker :005: but sadly I may need it at sometime. 
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 09:46:53 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.
I have now ordered glendarcy pants and the washable pads.  :D

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 08:45:40 PM »
That's good, all you can do is try and see if they work, hope they do the trick.